Windows Vs Linus

Nocbrute

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can play plenty of games on linux.  most recent games will run on linux perfectly fine.  now if you got an ati card, their linux drivers are nowhere near the quality of their windows drivers.  if you wanna game on linux, you have to go with nvidia, atleast untill ati gets their act together.  nvidia drivers on linux pretty much keep up with their windows equivalent.  from what i understand.  i got an ati  :(  so i am yet to see the beauty of nvidia linux gaming, but i hear its pretty good.  but you wont know if you like linux till you try it.  ive never tried suse, i use slackware, it's pretty good. but experiment and find out which one you like.  you can always go with fedora core 4, its prolly got one of the best support bases out of all of them.

562485[/snapback]

I kind of agree with you there, BUT..

I have an ATI x700 pro agp, and I got the newest drivers working after 2 kernels, and I can play doom3 pretty smoothly at medium/800x600, but when more then 3 enemies appear it drops to near 5 fps, and that hurts you :P

Anyways, I used to have a 5200fx, gaming is way better with this card (the x700) on linux even on the crappy drivers. I use gentoo since kevin_e convinced me to try it, but before that i used suse and redhat to start. Those 2 or Fedora Core or a few other ones would be great to start with, I recommend suse (ATi supports suse more or less :P )

Go ahaid with linux, If you install it to the same pc as windows and dual boot, even if you mess it up 120%, and the boot loader dies, you can do "fixmbr" in windows recovery console off the CD and there you go.. start all over again :P

If you build another PC i would recommmend atleast 128 ram, and an nvidia card if not onboard :P But IMO install it on the same PC, just make a new partition for it,

Edited by cold_snipe