Windows Vs Linus

Nocbrute

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's enough time to discuss the overall differences. this debate has been going on for years online. you may wanna look through the posts elsewhere in this linux forum.

the main difference is that it's an entirely different OS. it's just another way for you to use your computer to play online, game, and write/read/edit documents.

also important is the cost - linux is free, and windows ain't. there's a zillion reasons, but ultimately it's up to you...

you may notice that any professional server, web, game etc... is run on linux,

it's generally a "better" operating system than Windows because it gives you better performance for the hardware you have, it does not collect viruses and spyware, so it's more secure, even from a hacker's point of view.

it is ALOT faster for networking and server ype jobs, and really... everything.

best thing is that it's an open source movement.

bad thing is that it's not for people who don't know what they are doing.

that and gaming requires mocrisoft machines these days,

hopefully that will change, if it does then at that point there is no real reason to use Windows except that it does a good job catering to those who are used to windows, and who don't really know how to handle tme selves outside the box.

when games support linux, i will not be using microsoft, even though all the microsoft OS's ive ever used are free under that agreement with Indiana University. Mass licensing keys are t3h pwnage zomg

you may notice that any professional server, web, game etc... is run on linux,

558863[/snapback]

Not all "professional" servers are run on Linux. Perhaps you meant it to read a bit more like:

"You may notice that a lot of professional servers, web, game etc... are run on Linux"

The only person that can tell you why you should is yourself. Everyone switches for their own personal reason.

Linux (Unix, Mac, BSD, etc.) is not for everyone. This may include you, but you'll never know until you try it out. ;)

From what I've read around the traps, Linux/Unix based OSes due to their structure, design & components will only crash due to hardware failure and not because of cranky software (which Windows is famous for :P) hence it would make sense to run business servers on any flavour Linux :D

Having said that... I'm still trying to decide on which distribution OS I would like to try first :rolleyes::lol:

Perhaps a live-CD distro' would be worthy of @ least a look... if you're curious? <_<

Not all "professional" servers are run on Linux. Perhaps you meant it to read a bit more like:

"You may notice that a lot of professional servers, web, game etc... are run on Linux"

558893[/snapback]

yep - that sounds better :)

Biggest obvious difference is that Windows is a computer operating system...

Linus carries around a blanket and is Charlie Brown's friend.

558914[/snapback]

HAHAHA