Windows Vs Linus

Nocbrute

in windows you can change the background or download themes, but you cant change really all that much. in linux, if you dont like something rewrite the code. you have allot more control in linux, its rough at first, cuz thats where i am at, so i know, but vista just scares me too much, it is the reason i switched to linux. there is one thing you may find discouraging about linux, if you have an ati card, well, dont plan on playing too many games on linux. maybe their new drivers can, but their new drivers suck at dual monitor and i would rather have dual monitor than play games, so im not even using my ati drivers. nvidia owns ati on linux, i dont think anyone can argue with that. its because ati doesnt make good drivers for linux and they wont let anyone help their sorry butts. my main piece of advice, keep a windows comp handy for when linux fustrates you because you havent learned it fully yet. if you can learn linux fully.

edit: theres actually a lot more of a difference between linux and windows than just customizability, but i figured id focus on that. but a friend of mine told me i should use an utterly useless anology, so here it is:

windows is like a giant mosquito, and linux is like a dragonfly. all the mosquito does is suck your blood and make you itch, whereas the dragonfly, can hover, fly forward, fly backwards, fly side to side, and fly up and down, because each of its wings are independent of the others and allow for maximum versatility. plus dragonflys are cool.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in windows you can change the background or download themes, but you cant change really all that much.  in linux, if you dont like something rewrite the code. 

558971[/snapback]

Not even that, if you don't like it, chances are, someone else didn't and has already changed the code. Too many people talk like this and scare alot of potential users away, as you make it sound like you have to re-write the OS to change anything, rather than just rightclicking on the desktop and going to "configure desktop".

your right jezza. most anything you would normally want to change is already an option so you dont have to recode everything to change stuff. i guess i was trying to say you can recode it if you want (even though someone else probably already has and you can get it from them), whereas windows, not so much.

Try Linux and make the decision for yourself. Don't be scared to dive into something new. I say try it and see it for yourself. I am not the biggest fan of Linux because I haven't had much time to spend messing with it yet. But I really plan to when I get my AMD system all built. Then I'll just dive into it completely, wellll.. besdies for gaming, and just mess with it.

NOW GO TRY IT ALREADY.... hahaha..... Linux is sweet...... Try SuSe. It's a really good Linux OS.

linux is bad for games? if so why do alot of game servers run linux? and are most programs compatible with linux? i read most games are but any idea of when support might be coming? or since the games i play are on linux servers does that mean the game supports it?

Edited by Gir

you can play plenty of games on linux. most recent games will run on linux perfectly fine. now if you got an ati card, their linux drivers are nowhere near the quality of their windows drivers. if you wanna game on linux, you have to go with nvidia, atleast untill ati gets their act together. nvidia drivers on linux pretty much keep up with their windows equivalent. from what i understand. i got an ati :( so i am yet to see the beauty of nvidia linux gaming, but i hear its pretty good. but you wont know if you like linux till you try it. ive never tried suse, i use slackware, it's pretty good. but experiment and find out which one you like. you can always go with fedora core 4, its prolly got one of the best support bases out of all of them.

im reading that link marty posted right now, so there are differnt kinda of linux? and do i reformat and install with linux or install with windows already installed? i am willing to give it a shot i just dont know where to start, and the only gam i play right now is cod, coduo and soon to be released cod2

ok, there is a dual booting guide somewhere here on the site, and which distro have u decided to use?? b/c a lot of the more 'user friendly' ones are almost as easy to install as m$ is... and start off by downloading it.. always a good place to start

think of linux as a kernel. from there everything else is added. the different distros, are, at the most fundamental level, the linux kernel with their own flavor of programs that come with it. each has its own purpose. you can if you want create your own distro.

as far as installing it. their might be other ways to doing this, i suggest looking up a dual boot manual or something like that, but this is the way i know, unless you want to run it off a live boot cd (very annoying) you are going to need either another hard drive for linux, or the primary partition on your current hard drive available for the bootloader for linux. and any partition anywhere else. the reason for this. windows is selfish and is convinced that it must be installed on the primary partition. so the bootloader will be on the primary partition, and it will allow you to choose which OS to boot. now, somewhere in the config file, you will need to put something that virtually switches the partitions around so that the computer thinks windows is on the primary partition. i will post more tommorow as to how, i forget but my friends who are already asleep know the exact syntax for what you will need there. and it is easier if you install one before the other, but i forget which order that is.

by the way welcome to linux.

and dont worry if your computer starts talking to you in first person.

edit: my understanding of linux as just a kernel may be incorrect, anyone, please feel free to correct me on that

i am gonna put 2gether a cheap butt pc to put linux on and learn it there, and when i feel comfotable with everything i will convert my main system over, i am sure it will be a while before i have learned to use linux efficiently and maybe by that time there will be better support for things, thnx for all the help guys