Sign in to follow this  
General912

Friend Wants Out Of The Army.

My view on it is similar to silenc3's... but I don't think my point of view is worth a crap...

I don't think it's fair for anyone here to comment on this subject without personally having been through the armed forces.

Sure, we can sit here and talk about how "horrible" war is... but how the hell do the 95% of us who haven't been through it know? Yes, the pictures we see on tv are gruesome and the stories we hear from our comrades are even worse... but how the heck would we know what it's really like.

Our country needs warriors and some of us just aren't cut out for it. For physical or mental reasons, some people just can't do it. It's not fair to judge anyone who has dedicated their life to serving our country or for that matter, anyone that has quit. They are fighting so we don't have to. I won't judge any soldier that comes home early. If I'm that worried about it, I'll join the army myself.

My advice to your friend is this:

He should sit down on the toilet, or wherever else he may do his best thinking and figure out why he joined the army and what life means to him . I'm sure the answer is alot more complicated than "because I want to serve my country" and he needs to sort it out.

he deffinately should have thought about his decision a little bit more as with all life changing decisions he should have researched in detail what he was getting into... but as for his decision to leave I think he should stick out bassic and when he gets through it don't be infantry and go into a specialized field

It's infantry, not the boy scouts. It's not the easiest job in the military, and their main job is to go out and blow up stuff and shoot stuff. It takes a certain mindset, and one of the main items in basic training is to get all the soldiers into that mindset. Call it 'mental conditioning' or 'brain washing' or whatever, but it's gotta be done. It's not that freaking hard, as long as you know in advance what you're in for. If your friend thinks that basic is hard, he's in for quite a rude surprise when he gets to AIT, much less Ranger school. Just remember that pain is weakness leaving the body.

Like bigred said, recruiters feed off the games and media, and they'll tell everyone that they can be whatever special forces that their branch offers. They are SALESMEN, people - they will tell naiive kids exactly what they wanna hear. As long as they can sell a kid's life to make them sign the dotted line, they are happy - their job is to meet a quota.

I definately agree with Silenc3. The class of people coming in to the service today is just f..ing pathetic. When I was in boot camp, there were men crying nightly in their bunks, missing mommy and Susy Rottencroch back home. Real broken bones got them sent to a rehab unit until they healed, then they got sent back to another boot platoon to finish up (not a good thing) - stress fractures, sprains, etc, got ignored; if you could still run without passing out or have bones poking outta your skin, you were still good. They got over it, and they made better people out of themselves for telling their minds and bodies what will be done. (dang i sound like an old man now :( )

General, tell your friend that he can finish up, he just needs to reach down and make sure he's got some cajones left! Suck it up, ignore the whiney voice inside, and push through it. I'm not sure if you will share thoughts from this thread with him, but if nothing else, tell him not to wuss out with a stupid drug charge. If he can make a valid request to the admin office, he has a decent chance of moving to a field that he can hack.

This got me thinking about the army TV and online ads. They dangle bait like college money job training. But they don't tell you that you gotta go through hell first. I guess thats assumed.

going for airboune is pretty hard, but for ranger its even worst. should have just stayed as a basic infantrymen until he was ready. thats why you always notice that most people who are going into airboune served a few years of service be4 they went on to something higher. (not saying you can't do it without any experience, i seen some 18 year olds pass the training fine, but mostly older guys who know whats up)

our country (US) has kinda gotten soft over the years, people seem to quit more often then they should. i read and seen things about how some soldier's would lose a limb or body part, but still retrain themselfs to go back. plus the army or any department of military isn't like in the hollywood movies. if you actually saw what they really did, you wouldnt want to join.

only way your frd can get out of the army without dishonorable is serving his amount of years he has signed up. my frd is a junior in highschool with me has enlisted in the USMC and i see him training almost everyday. he goes to some Marine base down in Texas on every vacation we get to do things(never asked) with the Marines and his cuz who works on the base. he's also highly motivated and he earned the rank of MSG(master sergent) in his JROTC class and he is like one of the first to volunteer for anything, thats why he's got all those freaking ribbons. he is the kind of people we need in our military who are high motivated.

non-violence is the best, if there is a draft, I'm running <--- proud American

558518[/snapback]

i dont think they would draft me, bad heart :P

Wow, that is the point. You get turned into a killing machine for a reason, if you go to war you aren't going to be like "Oh I feel sorry for him, I can't kill him" type of person, it's war, kill or be killed.....

Another reason why I think he wants out more is because of the fact that they took his airborne and ranger training away because of his legs. Thats all he wanted to do... That really upset him.. I think its more about the fact that he cant do what he want.. Him being home hasent helped much either.. He wants to stay because he missed us. Which is perfectly normal...

drafts usually only come into effect if their is a big war as in a World War or Vietnam War and only if the military believe they don't have enough men and women to support the war.

lets home u leave be4 u get drafted otherwise u will never be able to step foot in the U.S. again.

Edited by Krazyxazn