Friend Wants Out Of The Army.

General912

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case he was never told, that's what basic is for, tell him to take it in, if he didn't know what basic was going to do, he never asked anyone. Because when he went to the MEPS anywhere, he had to have talked to somebody that might know?

And I am sorry but that post by Silenc3 was exactly right, and I agree with him.

am I the only one here that understands WHY the millitary does this to people?

they break you down as far as they can, then they start rebuilding you.

also no offense to you and your friend... but didn't anyone think THEY TELL EVERY DUMB SACK OF @#%^@#$ THAT YOU'LL BE AN ARMY RANGER? recruiters prey on the video game generation. the ones that think you have a hit point bar, and that all you're gonna do is run around shooting the bad guys... news flash to kids.... WWIII is OVER... 1 bullet CAN be fatal.... you don't jump right in... you will suffer the fun of basic (I didn't particularly find Navy basic difficult, but it was th navy... and they kicked me out for medical reasons)... DI's yell, it's what they do... the army is NOT like video games... you WILL have to suffer.

man I'm gonna stop ranting about this stuff now, otherwise I'll end up just saying it like silenc3 did... :( I thank god for the army's DI's... hopefully they can make something of the whiney generation of kids. stand up and grow up!

Well posted bigred

(Hijack Kinda)

I have a friend who joined the army last year and around a month into it a guy in his squad or woteva showed him a picture of a girl..... he basically said thats she's rank lol......... not knowing it was his girlfriend.

He had the crap kicked out of him by nearly everyone there. And they all now hate him and make his life as difficult as possible. So basically he quit. Under the circumstances do you think that was the right thing for him to do?

I do feel kinda guilty as my letters to him were kind of encouraging him to quit if he couldnt handle it anymore.

Edited by bitchplz

If he really wants out, then just do it, Who cares if its dishonorable or what not.

I will only join the Military service if I cannot find a good tech job, I will go into one in the military.

If there is a draft im moving to canada.

call me what you want. I don't care.

Guest Silenc3

Wow, this is sad.

While men are out dieng for your country the best you can do is try to get me banned from a forum, all because I told you the truth.

Impressive.

*edit*- ^and women^ -

Edited by Silenc3

I think that if he wants out there are ways to do it. It's his life. Just because he doesn't want to help invade other countries doesn't mean he's a coward. I might feel different if our country was being invaded. Even if he does leave the army he will still be contributing to it, I mean, we all pay taxes. Some people contribute in different ways. I think it is unfair to pass judgement on someone if you have never been in their situation. As for you guys who have been in the service, you have much more ground to stand on for your opinions. But everybody's different.

How #$#%% pathetic! That is all I can say. What was he expecting it to be like in basic? A picnic in the park?.................T&^%^&$%&^*^ I don't normally let things bother me but this goes to another level and just pushes my buttons. I can't even begin to describe with words how angry something like this makes me. "They break you down mentally and physically. Oh how awful." BLAH!!! for crying out loud. WTF do you expect them to do? Everybody knows that is what basic is all about. Even people that don't have a clue about the military knows that Basic is to break you down and rebuild you as bigred stated earlier.

Now I understand your friend has both legs fractured correct? Well if it is anything serious he will post likely get a medical discharge or if he is as big of a cry baby as you make him sound then he probably won't make the cut in basic anywayz. Don't they have a whimp discharge? LOL :lol: hahaha

Well, everyone else has pretty much summed up how I feel as well, but let me say this.

Let your friend make the decision. Don't pressure him to leave simply because you don't like where he was or that you missed him. Very good way to make him resentful of you if you end up talking him into doing what he didn't actually want to do, despite what it seems like what he wants to do .

Everything the army does is geared towards maintaining the greatest fighting force the world has ever seen. I am sorry your friend wants out, but what did he expect to to be treated like when he signed on to be a ranger??? They are the army's elite, they don't get the special treatment that the regular grunts get. The psychological and emotional torture makes you stronger, and, in the end, strengthens your emotions (the last thing they want is a bunch of men breaking down crying in the middle of a battle). I was raised an army brat, and lived on military bases for 18 years. I was in JROTC for four years, and could've easily gotten into college with an ROTC scholarship, but decided to go a different path. in JROTC, they don't treat you as badly as they do in the army, but the best thing to do is to not take anything they say to heart. If they insult you, get in your face, scream down your throat, just ignore it. They aren't doing it because they hate you, they are doing it because it's their job and it's what needs to be done to make you a battle-ready soldier. The best thing your friend can do is serve out his commitment. If he finds some loophole to back out now, he will regret it for the rest of his life, I promise you that. I am going down to Fort benning next weekend to watch a few buddies of mine graduate from Ranger school. It is one of the proudest, most achieved moments your friend wil ever experience, I suggest he stay the course. Once he makes his decision and he gets through basics, he better be prepared to stay in. The army isn't like the civilian world, once you sign on, you are there for however many years you said you'd be there, and if you decide to quite early (AWOL), then you serve out the rest of your term + at least 10 years in Leavenworth. Leavenworth not only holds the AWOL personnel, but it also holds the hardcore army boys who are actually proud of their career, and the AWOLees tend to get....well, let's put it this way, I think he'd better look into getting Rush Limbaugh's 'Soap on a Rope'.

If he makes it through Ranger school, he will be jumping behind enemy lines, and carrying out missions that the American public will never know about. He will be killing people, and possibly see a few people he knows getting their heads blown off, but it's war, it's life. And what they put you through in basics is what prepares you for it.

EDIT: and now that I've read through and realized he was only in basics still... he wil be in for a BIG surprise in Ranger school. ;) Once he gets through the first few weeks of basics, it'll even itself out. The sergeants won't be harping on him as much, and once he gets into AIT, he will be treated more like a person and actually enjoy his military career. THough technically he CAN drop out, I strongly recommend he wait until his legs heal and stay out his term.