Behold My Humble Folding Army

oblivescence

yeah, i wont sneak around and install it on other compys, ill be a good boy. cuz i would hate it if someone installed it on mine without my permission. and my router gives me enough problems without it running folding full bore. though, i would like those bragging rights of folding on my router. i really just need to wait till the xbox360 comes out and buy up a bunch of xboxes for cheap, mod em and enlist them in my folding army. thats about 40 ppd right there.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe in a year or 2 when the 360 becomes moddable ill try it out, all 4 clients. but honestly, from what i understand, its gonna be atleast that long till it is moddable, though i think linux will be one of the first pieces of unsigned code that will be ran on it. the xbox linux community does pretty well. and once that can be done, it might be worth buying just for folding purposes. i could be wrong though. it may be easily modded. just got to wait and see how serious M$ is about stopping the modding community. and how good they are at preventing it *cough*pretty bad*cough*.

Noisy cooling, Hmmmm... can't help you with that one dude ;)

560361[/snapback]

I took tin snips and cut all the holes one to another around the fan without removing it making a hole the size of the fans. There a lot quieter and better air flow. Its not perfect or pretty but whos going to see it anyway. Performance not a beauty contest for my cases or the M.B.s that got lucky and got a case!

:foldon:

Edited by road-runner

• 2 weeks later...
thats awsome i just ordered a laptop i hop its a good producer

558339[/snapback]

I still don't have a handle on whether my laptop is a good producer MHz-for-MHz, but I can tell you, holy schmoly, F@H sends the CPU temperature soaring.

This is one of those little lozenge-sized Dell 300m laptops, early 2004 vintage.

Anyhow, if the CPU is at full throttle (1200MHz) I've seen the CPU hit 64 degrees. At 900 MHz it stays at about 50. At 600 MHz it stays at 45.

Not long ago it was cold here in NYC, about 4 degrees out. I ran my laptop outdoors and the CPU settled at about 55 C. Still piping hot.

Sqopt

yeah, ive changed my mind on my laptop as far as folding, its not worth the risk to me of burning it up, its an old junkie anyways, only 700 mhz, and i kept folding using on/y 65% and the temps were still above 50 most of the time. but that is if i kept it vertical, i lay it down horizontal to actually use it and it soars to above 60. just not worth something thats putting out a little under 30 ppd. especially considering i like having a laptop. but thats me.