Can't Decide If Amd Is The Best!

bgnatewv2

I'm trying to decide between getting a new ABIT IC7-G II and a new heat sink and fan the Zalman CNPS9500 or get an MSI mobo with an AMD cpu. The Msi is the MSI K8N Neo2-F Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD and the cpu would be AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor. I don't want to get screwed by switching to AMD from Intel, but I'm still not really convinced that it would be a good switch. Can anyone shed a little light on the Msi and the AMD cpu vs my 3.0ghz intel w/HT? btw the intel cpu is on an intel mobo that why i called out the ABIT board. B:)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An AMD CPU processes more instructions per clock cycle, and most have HTT (Hyper Transport Technology), which helps to boost performance.

However, if you're gaming, always go AMD. Same for multi-tasking (according to red, due to the longer pipelines). If you're doing file encoding/encryption/etc, go Intel.

So that specific AMD cpu will out perform the 3.0intel, but only in gaming? Also, I know I must be a retard but I always thought***smokes from ear*** that the HT intel out performs the AMD in multi-tasking.? :blink:

btw I'm just tryin' to stay with AGP because I just bought a X850XTPE AGP vc!

I have an A64 3700 right now and before that anAMD 3000+ winchester but before that i had an Abit IC7 maxIII with a 3.0c @ 3.6ghz and to tell the truth the AMD feels faster when gaming but it gives up a bit on dvd encoding. Its just a matter of what you use your computer for. The abit and your cpu will give you good performance all around vs. great at one end or the other. Just my .02.

if you will only do video encoding and its making you money, go with intel, but intel isnt that good for gaming. besides my 3200 venice A64 @2.5ghz runs just as fast as a 4.0ghz intel (i compared benchmarks personally) and price wise id use amd. pretty much amd is the best bang for the buck, and congrats on that video card, i just flashed my x800pro to a x800xt pe :lol: one motherboard i HIGHY recommend is the k8n neo2 platinum. imo (others will agree with me on this) its the best nforce 3 socket 939 board in the market :D

An AMD CPU processes more instructions per clock cycle, and most have HTT (Hyper Transport Technology), which helps to boost performance.

However, if you're gaming, always go AMD. Same for multi-tasking (according to red, due to the longer pipelines). If you're doing file encoding/encryption/etc, go Intel.

556671[/snapback]

no AMD has shorter pipelines, allowing the cpu to be interupted quicker. Intel's longer pipelines favor encoding processes (start, walk away and come back).

my suggestion is to look more at your needs and base your cpu choies off that. My rig is a high end AMD due to the gaming, same goes for my daughter's machine. now my wife's machine is used mainly for video editting... why do you think it's not just any intel? it's the top of the line dual 64 bit xeon. beccause it has NO rival there. AMD can't hold it's own next to that thing.