Sign in to follow this  
jpmad4it

Sata I And Ii Questions

Hey there

I am buying a motherboard that supports SATA II, but my drive is SATA I - can i still use the HDD with the new motherboard?

Also, if i buy a SATA II HDD, will i need to buy a SATA II cable, or can I use SATA I cables with a SATA II HDD?

regards Jonathan

PS i also want a new system drive, only around 40GB is needed. I was going to get the Raptor 36GB, but seeing that my MB will support SATA II i was thinking are there any SATA II HDD that are quicker than the raptor, and similar in size?

I've been doing some looking into SATA I & II lately.

From what I've found out your SATA I drive should work fine connectd to a SATA II port.

Don't know about the cables. I haven't read anything about there being different cables. I just assumed that the cables were the same and it was the connector and drive that made the data transfer faster.

Do some Googling and see what you can find out. There's tons of information out there on SATA.

Read the article on the OCC homepage on the new WD SATA II drive and follow some of the SATA links that are with the article.

Good luck!!!

your get a cable but they both run off the same cable so it doesnt matter.

YES sSATA ! and SATA II are fully backwards capatable

You can run a sata1 drive with a 2 controller or a 2 drive with a 1 controller but either way you get teh performance of teh lowest common denominator

No Problem with a SATA I drive connecting to a SATA II controller, and even vice versa. The SATA II headers on a Mobo use a socket instead of a the plain old mini-edge connector. The cables offer a notch to prevent the cable from possibly slipping off from vibration or what not. These cables can be used in either connector type (SATA I or II).

The nice thing with your SATA II controller is that it will have NCQ support for any drive that has such a feature, including SATA I drives like some Seagate models that have NCQ (A SATA II feature) capability on a controller supporting that feature. There weren't too many SATA I controllers that offered NCQ.

For NCQ on a harddrive to work, the controller requires the support too.

Try to find a mobo with its SATA II controller integrated within the chipset. The controller's performance will be top notch as it won't be on the slower PCI Bus as with add-on, integrated controllers.