Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flashstar

Is Ebay Good For Cars?

Guest Flashstar

I've looked around and the only place that I can find a lot of 1960's mustangs is ebay. I was wondering if anyone had any past experiences with ebay and cars and whether or not it's worth finding a car on Ebay.

problem is getting the car you want to you. either you have to get it, or be willing to accept your left testicle in payment for shipping.

I suggest getting the local auto trader mag and going thru there or hitting up the local classic car shows. besides you're looking for a vehicle that is RARE for 2 reasons... 1 is people don't want to part with the good ones, and 2 you don't want the others.

but hopefully you'll find what you're looking for

I have never bought a car on ebay and I never will. But the only way I could see someone buying a car on ebay would be if the seller of the car was reasonably local so that you could go look at it and make sure it is ok and then when you buy it you could go pick it up.

An autotrader mag would be a better deal(got my dirt bike off cycle trader ;)), but Ebay can be good if you really know what you are looking for and are willing to go pick it up. A friend of mine bought a 99 mustang gt(it was around 2001) in bright yellow and great condition off of ebay, for waaay less then dealer price...only downfall is that he had to take a plane a couple states away and drive it back.

On another note...I hope you arent getting that car as a daily driver. Besides the gas being an issue, continued use will put quite a toll on a car so old - and replacement parts will be a PITA to find, and very expensive once you do.

Buying and maintaining a late 60s/early 70s muscle car in high demand may require you getting another job, selling body parts, selling your girl, or all of the above...I also still want one though! :lol:

you have NO idea the amount of time, money and effort goes into a vehicle of that age. I paid $500 for my 78 bronco. I spent... jeez I dont' even want to think about how much on it... hardly drive it. and I've now had offers exceeding $100k for a former rust bucket.

all i can say is youget what you fail to research. go the extra mile to find out everything about the car. not only the prospect but the model as a whole . use carfacts to check if it has a clean history.

This '92 740 had about 65,000 miles on it when my dad bought it off ebay. The bike rack/packasport was not included.

It works :)

Florida to California, good deal even considering the shipping charge 0_o , works, just make sure you know what you're doing. :ph34r:

Another thing you might consider checking is online classifieds, my '90 240 came from www.craigslist.org, and it allowed for local searches... I'll have to say that was a score too.

Im not sure about this but ill just post and someone can say different if im wrong. If you pay through bidpay then you can get like 15 day test or something like that and test it and what not if it sucks give it back.

Hemmings Motor News.

had to throw that in there. its a big brown catalog looking thing you can find at about ANY bookstore. not onyl cars fo rsale but usualyl ALWAYS older classic ones...even Ancient ones. Especially if youre looking for a wing for a superbird or an english TR3 or something bizarre....its ALL in there.

buddy of mine got an early integra off EBAY. (square lights...not round) he found one that was relatively local to him. (1 hour drive from south philly) he drove there, looked at it, offered the guy $1700 the guy told him he was crazy and then let the bidding begin. he won...paid $1750. It has not let him down once...has 200k miles on it. goes strong.