*sigh* New Video Card Not Living Up To Hopes

Skoad

I'll have to see how much i can get when i sell my paintball gun

<--- poor college student

sidenote: neweggs server probs are hurting my time killing ability. I might actually have to start doing homework.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your RAM is holding you back too. All your RAM must be running in dual or single. It will only run in dual if you pair both DIMMS by what you say it sounds like they are not paired and its running in single channel.

kashk5, I have OCed all my ATI cards with stock coolers and they OCed pretty well and kept pretty cool too so I am just curious as to where you get that thinking that you shouldn't even attempt to OC an ATI card on stock cooling.

554766[/snapback]

Well, most normal people don't have ambient temperatures in the single digits. :P

Seriously though. I think I'm being more biased from the 9800 series heat "issues". I was actually thinking more about warning him not to flash his card with stock cooling. Losing one's train of thought usually happens when two hysterical women burst into your room........

Here is my timings, memory is probably my weakest puter knowledge.

I just remembered looking at cpu-z that I have a 512 stick of vs and a 256 old leftover generic stick.

I remember setting dual channel in bios on the assumption that i could run 256 of the 512 paired with the seperate stick of 256 in dc, it says Dual up in that box don't know if that means its working or not.

snipermav from seek42 - UMR :)

Edited by Skoad

In order to run dual channel with three sticks, you would need two 256 sticks, and one 512 stick. That way it sorta runs like 512 each. Of course, this all depends on the mobo or if I just pulled that little fact out of my butt.

The hiccups your experience is your system having to load junk for your Hardrive/pagefile just get some good ram, that mobo/ cpu is OK but the Ram is a big No No. You must have at least 1 gig of some good low latency ram

snipermav from seek42 - UMR :)

554797[/snapback]

Heh, I was pretty sure it was you, just checking though.

You cannot run dual channel with three sticks. The board will automatically set it to single channel. You can only run dual channel if you have multiples of 2 sticks of RAM (ie. 2, 4).

Heh, I was pretty sure it was you, just checking though.

You cannot run dual channel with three sticks.  The board will automatically set it to single channel.  You can only run dual channel if you have multiples of 2 sticks of RAM (ie. 2, 4).

554908[/snapback]

Huh, i didn't think that socket A/Athlon xp had dual channal