Teaching Creationism In School..

BarneyGumble

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto.  How can people only wanting to teach evolution call people who want to teach both evolution AND creationism "Closed minded"?  oxymoron.

550800[/snapback]

good point Lo! :)

Most people think that creationism is religious, but it's also said that evolution is religious also.  It does require a belief system, and faith in how it works.  Even the former pope has gone on the record in support of evolution.  Religion can be a part of both theories. 

550798[/snapback]

The reason it's so strongly linked to religion is because the followup question is "Well WHO created the world then?" And the only answer is a reference to a belief in a greater power, which IS religion.

However, IMO, the evolution story falls apart in the same way. Where did that big cloud of dust come from? IMO, even evolution still requires the belief of a higher power. (And this is coming from an agnostic :P)

If you ask me, I think they should teach neither. Teaching both is great, but now you guys will fall into the same trap that you used AGAINST me in the religion and gov't buildings argument. OK, so you teach those two. Now what about my sunday school teacher that believed that the world was 6000 years old, and swore that any evidence proving otherwise was created by the devil to fool us. Will we teach that? Who decides what we teach and don't teach? It's a whole can of worms.

I don't think we should teach any of them. You can teach a kid everything they need to know to face the world without ever touching either topic. No one ever taught me one or the other in school. Why should they? Leave that to the parents. Or have it be like . ed, where you can opt your kids out. If the parents don't like evolution in school, their kids get out of it, and they can get their fill of creationism on sundays.

The irony is that I imediately think of the religion and gov't buildings thread that I mentioned above. In that thread, the righties wouldn't stop screaming about not changing the system because it sets a bad example. They said you shouldn't change the system just to suit some of the people. They said that we should just deal with the things that we don't like.

My my how the tables have turned... Now all of a sudden those same folks are BEGGING for change, and are completely unwilling to "deal with" the stuff they don't like. The arguments seem to change depending on which side you present them from.

Tables haven't turned for me Verran :D . From the beginning, I have not been fighting in favor of religious symbols on government buildings for the religious value of it. I have been in favor of it for the cultural and historical value of it. And I think that teaching both creationism and evolution in schools is fine.

I've seen Christians more corrupt then people such as Saddam, and Atheists in the same way.

Please don't try to say something like "OMFG U STUPID LIB, CHRISTIANITY IS THE ONLY THING THAT THIS KUNTRY WAS BASED ON! I'LL IGNORE ALL GENERAL MORALS THAT WERE COLLECTED LATER ON BY RELIGIONS BASED OFF OF ZOROASTRIANISM!" later on... *looks at a certain member*