Sign in to follow this  
BarneyGumble

Aerobic Gaming...

I'm new to OCC and I want to contribute my own research. I am going to do a self study of the effects of cardiovascular activity on gaming. I play games regularly (when not at work and the wife isn't home (she hates my computer)), but yesterday I actually found that the game I was playing seemed boring. As usual, as soon as I got home from work I started playing a FPS, my favorite. About 45 min into it I felt like I was wasting my time, which is odd because I usually enjoy playing my collection of games.

Back to the study...there have been several university studies that tie cardiovascular activity to higher cognitive thought and as a related form, a lower brain function latency. Looking at the study results I notice that cardiovascular excercise is to the human brain what overclocking is to the processor. After 0.5 hours of cardiovascular excercise brain function increases, cognitive thinking increases, latency decreases and P3 amplitude, the actual usable electricity in the brain, increases. So, I am going to do a 30 min cardiovascular workout three times a week for three weeks. Everyday I will record the excercise amount and time, what games I play and how long, and will rate my game experience on a 1-5 scale. 1=what a waste of time; 5=Why can't this be real.

I hypothesize that I will enjoy games more as my cardiovascular fitness increases. However, I also feel that this may spawn an inverse relationship. I may gain cardiovascular fitness and lose interest in games... I just don't know.

What usually happens to me is that the more I work out the less interested I am in video games. I dunno, its what happens to me :(

What usually happens to me is that the more I work out the less interested I am in video games.  I dunno, its what happens to me :(

548077[/snapback]

ahhh. must stop excercising.

but cardio is just so much WORK....

Why not just start smoking instead. That's been scientifically proven to reduce your risk of jogging :P

Seriously though, this is kind of interesting. I don't excercise much anymore with the bum foot and all, but back in college I did notice that I seemed to be more energetic and attentive after a short run, or something like that.

On another train of thought, I have found that I enjoy gaming more when I have less time for it. When you have your nights wide open all the time, gaming isn't really a "treat", it's just what you do. When you're busy as a mofo and you have to "make time" to game, I think you appreciate it more. Just another theory to add to the study.

Let us know how it works out though, should be interesting.

I guess I have something that may semi-relate to your study. On days that I am stressed/overworked/busy, I like to play FPS's. On days that I can relax (fewer of those than I'd like) I play the occasional RTS (Battle for Middle Earth, C&C, Sid Meier's Gettysburg)

playing games before school starts is sweet. and too much exercise isnt too good, then you would loose focus playing games. just dont over do it for gaming :D

Here are my results:

I do actually find myself enjoying games much more than before. It also turned into a reward system for myself. There's nothing like sitting down to some UT2004 with a glass of ice water right after my evening run (with the testosterone flowing like my 5 a.m. coffee). I find that I am actually better at most games as a result. My reaction times and precision has definitely improved. I also play more than I used to, it's so much more rewarding now. However, I should have come up with some actual scores to compare. Oh well.