African American Day Parade

martymcfly

I'm not going to make a big point here but afro-americans, like said above, aren't the ones who actually got oppressed.... But they carry the burden of it. Every afro american carries an English name like Jackson, WHite, and so on. Slave owners used to give their slaves their last name, so an Afro American called jackson, had an ancestor who was owned by a white Jackson. They lost their culturen language and names. There fore i can understand some people find themselves because they have no roots anymore. They feel disconected, that's why initiatives like black history month, parades and stuff are made to reconnect those people or at least giving them them feeling of reconnection with their past.

Although i agree no form of segragation of any kind (white on black or black on white or whatever on whatever) should be accepted. The world would be a better place if people were more tolerant and respectfull to eachother.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every afro american carries an English name like Jackson, WHite, and so on. Slave owners used to give their slaves their last name, so an Afro American called jackson, had an ancestor who was owned by a white Jackson.

547587[/snapback]

When I read "white" and "Jackson" in the same sentence...I thought of of a bunch of good jokes :)

On this point, I think our culture helps encouage some racism.  When people say 'african american' or 'japanese american' or 'mexican american' I think that it tries to enforce some segregation.  WTF is wrong with being called an "american" if that's what you are?  Since I'm white, maybe I should get offended that I'm not labeled a 'scottish american' or an 'washingtonian american' right?  I think having a name that is traditionally american-sounding (John Smith, Mike Hossenfeffer, etc) is good in the sense that it ties everyone together.  Yes, if I hear a name like Phuc, Shaniquia, Mohammed, or Javier, then I can make an educated guess about what skin color they have - not like it really matters though.

When my son started school a few years ago, kids in his class were getting in (minor) trouble for making reference to someone's skin color.

kid1: "Hey kid, Mike wants to see you"

kid2: "Which Mike?"

kid3: "The Black/White/Korean/Mexican one"

teacher: "WATCH YOUR MOUTH - he's not <ethnicity>, he's <xyz>-american"

me: thinks that is BS!  what's wrong with using that to identify someone?

547623[/snapback]

i agree with this. That teacher thing is the kind of thing I do not like. Descrption of color is like description of hair. It is an easily identifiable trait.

sorry, u dont get a parade because ur not smart enough, and dont blame it on discrimination either

551232[/snapback]

hahahaha, YEAH! You missed my point. I didn't apply to the university of Michigan, I was too smart for that. The University of Michigan is the leading university in affirmative action (accepting minority children rather than better-qualified white kids)

Come on Lo, haven't you learned you have to explain yourself around here or 'they' don't get it?

Anyway wanksta, Lo was referring to Michigan's policy of affirmative action. It commonly leads to lesser qualified minorities being admitted to the school over better qualified white males. In effect, it discriminates against white males by giving minorites "admission points" simply for being minorities.

Edit: Whoops you beat me to it. :lol:

Edited by 94Camaro

I have NO problem with being proud of one's herritage.  I have no problem with one being proud of thier ethnicity.  I am totally in favor of everything being equal. 

however there are things that PISS me off.

1:  U of M entrance exam.  - 4 pts for being a male.  - 4 pts for being white.  + 12 points for being black, AND get your 4 points back.  affirmitive action?  how about discrimination?

2:  one black center in the NFL causes an article to be written.  NO white cornerbacks isn't an issue is it?

3:  the Chapel show... the best example I can think of.  he gets up and makes jokes about white people...  not a word is said to him.  a white comic gets up and makes wise cracks about black people... he's in jail or dead.

4:  Black history month.  Black pride parade.  Blackplanet.com.  UPN.  if white people had things like this 2 logos would be associated with them...  a burning cross and a swastika.  even though that wouldn't be the case if it was EQUAL.

5:  Black only night clubs in detroit....  good lord a lawyer would be up someones butt if it was a white only night club.

even one of my last customers when I had the store tried the whole racist thing.  she wanted her computer fixed NOW.  well there was a 3 day wait.  she saw a white woman picking up her computer (which was dropped off a week earlier).  this threw her into a temper tantrum about the wait.  she yelled and screamed at the tech who explained everything in a very polite manner.  she wanted to speak with his boss (yell is not speaking in my book).  I told her if that was the attitude she was going to have with me, to take her buisness somewhere else.  she called me a racist, said I was discriminating against her because she was black...  I politely told her "ma'am, the fact that you're black makes no difference to me.  you could be white, tan, green with neon yellow hair and 2 little bright pink things hanging out of your head...  it wouldn't change the fact that you're being an idiot". (and that is truely how I feel on the subject...  base my view of a person on what they do not what they look like or where they're from or what they choose to pray to or anything like that).

547431[/snapback]

lol...you're forgetting the more obvious ones!

BET - Black Entertainment Television

JET Magazine

I mean honestly, if white people did this there would be so many lawsuits over it, it'd be ridiculous.

and i think the whole parade thing is pretty lame to, but i dont feel like typing out my entire response why