Sign in to follow this  
BiPolar

Do You Fold?

Do you participate in Folding at Home?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you participate in Folding at Home?

• Yes (why?)
    • No (why not?)
    • Not yet (why not?)
    • Yes, but on hiatus (why?)

I fold for a lot of reasons. My computers are on anyways, so why not? It helps people, which is something small that I can do without much effort. The friendly competition that we have here makes it even more fun. Plus, I have cancer, but I was folding for almost a year before I found that out.

well i fold...but my main rig isn't folding @ the moment because its working on cracking my roomates password...dang NT passwords are a pain in the a$$

i would rather let my pc fold while i am away than let it do nothing

plus its for a good cause i too have lost family to cancer

also it is a fun lil compition to be part of

I fold with everything I can get my hands on, because I think it's a good cause, and the competition is fun.

If I'm not using the cpu cycles, they may as well help someone. 34 C load temps on my 2.6 ghz A64, utterly silent.

I also have our dorm's dual cpu gaming server folding on both cores, plus my old DLT3C @ 2.47 ghz folding at home (1 ghz overclock baby!).

I've only been folding a few weeks now. :ph34r:

To be honest, having lost family members to cancer is not part of my motivation to fold. I simply see it as a worth while cause, especially since normally computers spend so much time idle. Most of the time they are being used they operate at less then 100% of cpu power.

Yes. I fold because I remember having Christmas in my Dad's hospital room when I was 10 years old(1977). He had red lines drawn on his chest for something I was too young to know about. He had smoked for over thirty years but quit when the doc told him he had cancer, thirteen months later my grandma told me I didn't have to go to school today cuz my dad had died.

I have researched enough to know that we will not cure cancer in our lifetimes or my sons' lifetimes. But I believe that the groundwork we are doing now will eventually help more than just cancer victims. Every disease is basically a protein folding problem that some day our grandchildren may be able to counteract with a specific protein supplement.

I used to run seti also, but switched to FAH immediately when I first read about it on Overclockers Club. I started folding for team 12772 then. That was Months before I joined the forums and have installed folding as a service in every PC that I have built since. Currently I only have two machines turning in WU's tho cuz my girl just dumped me and I've been crashing on my mum's couch. ;-( hehehehe

and so it goes

HD

I fold because I believe in it and I also think its alot of fun :)

546425[/snapback]

to sum it up thats my thoughts exactly

I don't fold as I can't leave my pc running overnight, and have only 1 available PC. When running, I usually do stuff and dont like apps running in the bg. Anyways, my 2600+ sempron skt. A wouldn't help much.

546376[/snapback]

The folding client works as a lower-priority task. When you do something, it steps down an equal amount, so it never affects the cpu cycles that you need. And a 2600 sempron A would be helpful. Everything is helpful. I've got PIII's working in addition to other machines.

In addition, I don't think that running your cpu full time will affect your machine in any adverse way. If you are afraid of burning it out, I'm pretty sure (but can't find stats right now) that by the time it burns out from running 100%, you'll have long bought your next PC.

I fold but I don't like doing it.

1. It cost a lot of money to run my computer 24/7

2. The computer has to be cleaned of dust a lot from leaving it on 24/7

3. Wares down the parts from running it all the time

4. No one I am around thinks its really helping even thought they have red about what it does. They think its just throwing money out the door.

If you dont like to Stop!! If you dont beleive in it then don't, It's whether YOU think you are helping not what somebody else believes. I fold because i believe it helps with the research and may someday help with finding a cure. I watched what this disease does to a family and if i can help with a solution i'm all for it.