Free Dns

Verran

Ok, I own my own domain name, and I want to host it at home. I know that you can do with a service like dyndns.org, but then it has to be something like verran.dyndns.org. I want to use my own name, and they charge to use a DNS listing for a "custom" domain name.

I have heard of places that will do free DNS listings. I don't want hosting or anything like that, just DNS.

Anyone know of a site that will do this?

if you buy a "custom" DNS name like verranisabigstupidnerd.com (jk), it will cost you money unless you get it as like a deal for package hosting. this is because they have to then go and register it somewhere. go ahead and pay the 5 bucks or whatever for a year and have it set up with dyndns... its cheap, but if you dont want a subdomain, you will have to pay

why not setup your own dns server. how much more is it for you to get static compared to dynamic ips with your isp?

546195[/snapback]

A lot more than it is to pay dyndns.org to do it for me :P

Last I checked, static IPs were SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive. I think dyndns wants like 15-20 bucks for a year for just DNS service, so I can't imagine a static would be cheaper.

I know a friend of mine used to get free DNS, but I don't remember where, and I'm out of contact with him now :( I'm going to keep looking, but if I can't find it, I guess I'll just pay dyndns or something :(

A lot more than it is to pay dyndns.org to do it for me :P

Last I checked, static IPs were SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive.  I think dyndns wants like 15-20 bucks for a year for just DNS service, so I can't imagine a static would be cheaper.

I know a friend of mine used to get free DNS, but I don't remember where, and I'm out of contact with him now :(  I'm going to keep looking, but if I can't find it, I guess I'll just pay dyndns or something :(

546199[/snapback]

Zoneedit.com is free and gives you lots of control of the domain name. You can have up to 5 free domain names or zones as they call it.

Zoneedit.com is free and gives you lots of control of the domain name. You can have up to 5 free domain names or zones as they call it.

546496[/snapback]

Good call! That looks like a good site, I registered and got the IP update software rolling in no time. Now I just have to get my apache box up again :P

Thanks Lobb, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Godaddy offers free dns when you register your domain with them.

I registered recently and had it point to my new subdomain at

nearlyfreespeech (you pay $1 per gb of bandwidth you use which

carries over month to month, and 1 cent per mb of space you use monthly).

Only spent $10 on private registration and got their totaldns service

free.