Sign in to follow this  
viralSHARK

Abit Vt7....... Why Wont Mine Work?!?!

My setup right now -

Intel Celeron D Socket 478 2.1 ghz

Seagate 40gb (windows xp installed)

Abit VT7 Motherboard (VIA PT880 chipset)

BFG Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 AGP

2 Generic CD Drives

Ok i boot up my system, and i can get to the bios and change settings and everything, but i'm having a problem booting into xp. When i turn on my system, i get as far as where xp should be booting up (loading bar with the XP logo) and it bluescreens every time. If i power of, and restart and let it go, it will get to where it says, windows was not properly shut down blah blah blah.... select safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode command promt, then the other one is start windows normall, no matter what, it bluescreens. i tried my linux install CD and it wont boot to that either. I tried, in the BIOS, setting it to not stop for any error, then after the windows not properly shut down screen, it says windows could not be started because ntoskernel.dll is missing or corrupt

so yeah, i dont know what to do about this, i've tried almost everything i could think of

Go into the bios and set it to boot from the cd/rom....re-install xp or attempt a repair. I myself would do a fresh install of xp. If that does not work I would start swapping parts until you find the problem. it could be your psu, mobo, ram...

Guest FxXP

What other hardware do you have in your system? Do you have a modem, sound card, anything plugged into your USB or PCI slots when installing Windows or Linux?

try unplugging everything (including all expansion cards and cd roms) only leave your keyboard and hard drive attached

start into bios, set as 1st hard drive to boot, see if windows loads..

was windows installed with this motherboard? or with another one?

if it was with this mobo, download both memtest and a CD bootable version of either linux or winterials (windows) and try that out.

yeah, the windows installed on my hard drive was used in an emachines computer using the emachines windows reformat/restore disk. I took out the 56k modem, ethernet card, and left only one 512 ram stick in DIMM 1, i havent unplugged the cd drives yet, i'll try that in a little bit and see what happens

i'll lookup a bootable OS cd, i have dang small linux live, i should try that, however i set the boot order as: 1.floppy 2.cdrom 3.hard drive, and tried to get into my redhat install cd's and those didnt boot either, i'll post back when i come up with anything new.

This is my first time building a computer, but i consider my self very computer adept. So far i really appreciate everyone trying to help me! Thanks guys! (/girls?)

Edited by viralSHARK

well, you've gone and caused yourself a relatively large problem.

when you changed motherboards you changed chipsets. when you did that you also changed your drive controller. Windows boots up and looks for the old drive controller, can't find it and assumes major hardware failure. Now that it's also seen the new motherboard putting everything back with the old one won't work either.

now you should have actually gone into the device manager and changed your IDE drivers to MS default before starting this project and turning it into a flaming CF. But there's nothing we can do about that now.

so here's your two opotions.

1: REQUIRES that you still have the COA sticker on from the emachine case (the CD key). this is your LEGAL right to install windows XP on one computer at a time with that number. Get an OEM (not the one that came with a stupid box from best buy or the like) version of windows XP home from a friend. use your COA #.

2: if you threw out the case with the # on it. Bend over, grab your ankles and go buy a full version of XP, retail or OEM doesn't matter.

after you've taken care of this, boot from the CD, go past the repair console option, this repair wont' help you any. go onto the next repair option, which will overlay the needed files and repair MOST files that you have messed up with your method.

BTW the sticky at the top of the motherboard forum would have been a good guide to read over before undertaking this type of project. Link

good luck from there.

Just in case i havent explained my situation thoroughly (been posting on several threads about this, might have left something out in this one) theres 2 computers here

Computer A:

Emachines T1115 and all the original hardware it came with

Restore CD for the T1115

(oh snap, it says this cd will only work with an emachines pc only, i never read that before......)

yeah you can call me a n00b now if you want haha

anyway, what i WAS trying to do, was take the hard drive out of Computer A, put in my empty seagate 40gb (intended to use in computer B (computer B is my new custom build thats not working)) use the emachines restore CD to put windows on it, then throw the hard drive back over to my new computer and try it out.

Now that i know i cant do that, i feel much better about having spend $500 and its not working. What i'm gonna try to do now is put the seagate 40gb in the emachines, install linux (because for some reason the the cd drives arent working in my new comp) then swap it into my new computer, and see if that works. Then i can at least use my system if that works. Then i gotta try to find a windows install cd somewhere.............

I'll keep this thread updated

p.s. - for all you n00bs out there that (if its possible) are more n00bish than how i feel at the moment, PLEASE NOTE that Emachines T1115 Windows install disks binds the OS to the T1115 hardware, and i'm sure many other brand name computers w/ windows reformat/restore disk do the same thing.