Best Way To Do Web Pics Section?

Verran

What's the best way to link from a thumbnail?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best way to link from a thumbnail?

• Open in a new window
    • Open in the same window

Ok, I'm building a website. Nothing spectacular, just some pics and stuff so my friends can see them. So the question is very simple:

Let's say you're at a webpage, and there's a bunch of thumbnails of pics. You click one. Do you want that fullsize pic to come up in the same window, then hit back to get to the thumbs again, or do you want it in a new window, and then just close it to get back to the thumbs?

I've never made a poll before, so I figured "why not try?" :P

I use new tabs anyway, I make mine link into same window, when I'm looking at photo albums, I prefer same window too.

http://www.typicallyrandom.com/newphotography/first.htm

So far I only have albums under San Francisco and Sonoma County in my new album.

That's the one I've been working on, maybe we can exchange ideas.

Same window, I think it'd be cool to have a few thumbnails across the top, then when you click one it exands it below.  That probably wouldn't be too hard to do with some PHP or something of the likes.

544424[/snapback]

I like that idea too. Thinking maybe a side scroll at the top with a bunch of thumbs, then when you click one, the bottom part has the big image.

I haven't the foggiest how to do that, but necessity is the mother of invention (or in this case, education). I may try that, but probably get a basic page up first and toy with it from there :)

I like that idea too.  Thinking maybe a side scroll at the top with a bunch of thumbs, then when you click one, the bottom part has the big image.

I haven't the foggiest how to do that, but necessity is the mother of invention (or in this case, education).  I may try that, but probably get a basic page up first and toy with it from there :)

544433[/snapback]

I love how this poll is placed right at the exact time that I'm working on a website for my pictures and I was gonna ask this same question soon.

I think that I'm gonna start out with just having them open in the same window then learn my PHP and make them open below the thumbnails.