Desperately Need Help!

czGLoRy

Ok... I have a cable modem- and its speeds are AWFUL! I hav been lagging a lot lately so I did a DSLREPORTS.com test, and look what I got!

2005-09-11 20:25:23 EST: 14 / 368

Your download speed : 14659 bps, or 14 kbps.

A 1.7 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed is much faster than down.. have you tweaked?

Your upload speed : 377038 bps, or 368 kbps.

this is a high speed modem... cablevision of flagstaff with motorola surboard cable modem sb4200

Somethings wrong! No router or anything... can anyone please help

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there a lot of other cable customers in your area?

543363[/snapback]

theres not that much. I unplugged for a minute, plugged back in, got a similar result, then i turned ON windows firewall... and my new stuff was

2005-09-11 20:35:30 EST: 681 / 431

Your download speed : 697810 bps, or 681 kbps.

A 85.1 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 441974 bps, or 431 kbps.

about my average speed- but still slow for cable :( Why would turning ON a firewall effect it?

Call the ISP and tell them. It could be a number of things. One of the most common is the local amplifier has been damaged, but it could also be cable theft in the area (whether it be TV or internet). They have their amplifiers tuned to allow enough bandwidth for however many customers are served from that amp. If someone is stealing cable, the total bandwidth is divided up between the customers and the Customer :: bandwidth ratio gets smaller and smaller. But...14kbps is still really slow, so I'm thinking there is something wrong on the ISP's end. Give them a call.

QUOTE: "there is no set speed for cable. How fast do you pay for?"

Well...no SET speed lol, but 14kbps is still WAY WAY too low for that. A 5mbps cable will get anywhere from 4.5-5.5 depending on how many users are active on the grid. The only reason he should get 14kbps is if they ran the entire country off of his neighborhoods amp.

Call you cable provider and tell them your bandwidth is really low. They can run a few tests from their place, while you're still on the phone, and see if there's a lot of noise on the line. That was a lady's problem one time when she had me troubleshooting her computer/internet problems.

1. Virus

2. Spyware

3. Bad Cabling

4. Update your NIC drivers

5. Remove QoS from your network stack and change "Limit Bandwidth" to 0% in the Group Policy Editor.

Don't say that you scanned with Norton and McAfee because most viruses will pass through both as they do not actively scan for any downloaded files through P2P or webpages.

Edited by FxXP

Could be a problem with your provider... ours was dipping to like 600 down and now it's back up to around 5mb.

543367[/snapback]

well the fastest ive ever seen mine is 900, and its a $60/mo service

but I dont have spyware or viruses. How do i update the NIC drivers?

How do i do this?

emove QoS from your network stack and change "Limit Bandwidth" to 0% in the Group Policy Editor

I called them many times before, they dont do anything

I think it might be with my firewall... when i click on it it says "start ICS service?" and i say yes. I turn firewall off or on, and it stays same... but it seems like I have another firewall blocking stuff, but I dont! I don't know what to do.

Edited by czGLoRy