Removing Thermal Grease

legit

hey all,

i know i've heard that you can use something to really clean thermal grease off well but i have no idea what it is can someone tell me what it is and how to use it thanks,

- legit

well im looking to do it right now, so i found some 70% isopropyl rubbing alchohol will that work?  just grab a cotton ball or kleenex and wipe it off?

541155[/snapback]

From the Arctic Silver web site:

If you do not have ArctiClean, use a xylene based cleaner, (Goof Off and some carburetor cleaners) acetone, mineral spirits, or high-purity isopropyl alcohol. 

You'll want something better than 70% isopropyl - preferably 91% or higher.

acetone and high percentage alcohol here......Oh wait the alcohol is for me... the acetone is for cleaning!

541174[/snapback]

Same here! :withstupid: lol...............

...Well, I tell ya what get some gasoline and a blow torch and.......... :lol::P

I was inspired by Exeter... but back to the question, I use these cool little alcohol pads we have at my office. They are called "OfficeWipe" with a trademark symbol by CleanTex. They work very well IMO. It doesn't say how much alcohol content it has, but it does say "FLAMMABLE" on the label... :blink:

I have sent a few of these out to some members. They have reported that they work very well. As for my experience, I have not found anything better!

On another note, I have used this pad very successfully in removing the "Stock" thermal pad that Intel ships with their H/S. Not that I use these H/S very often, only if I build a stock type rig for someone else. I Feel they should at least have some Artic Silver 5 from me!!!

Edited by Mangar

i take my proc, and my heatsink, soak them in hot water, scrub with a toothbrush and some soap... just soap and water, then dry it off with a hair dryer.. rinse with 91% alcohol, blow dry. squeaky clean...

yes procs are water proof.