Sign in to follow this  
oldfett

New Laptop For Friend

My friend finally wised up and found that he couldnt get a laptop for under $600 so he is now willing to spend a little more. The only thing he wants to use it for now is heavy application use and music but somewhere down the road he wants to play games on it. I was thinking get one with a crappy video card and then upgrade it in a few months when he gets more money. What do you all think? Is there any good laptops you would suggest?

if your talking about upgrading the video card, the only laptop you can do that on are alienware laptops and those aren't cheap. You would basically have to replace the whole laptop (unless its an alienware of course)

Huh I didnt know that I thought you could switch them out with a little work but ok. Does anyone know a good laptop with great app use, good portability for school work and can play low end games ok?

Huh I didnt know that I thought you could switch them out with a little work but ok. Does anyone know a good laptop with great app use, good portability for school work and can play low end games ok?

539234[/snapback]

how much does he want to spend? for about 600 the only thing new i can think of is a dell 6000 with the ati x300 if you look at the delloutlet or wait for a 750 off 1500 or something like that you can get them cheap.. The x300 is not great for gaming but it will play some low end stuff. also how big does he want it? so people consider 17" laptops small enough to take to school while others want a 12". im to lazy to see what is out right now but for $600 there is not much. if he want to game look for the x600 < x700 = 6600 or < 6800

if your talking about upgrading the video card, the only laptop you can do that on are alienware laptops and those aren't cheap. You would basically have to replace the whole laptop (unless its an alienware of course)

539225[/snapback]

Actually, that's not quite true.

It depends on how mobile he wants to be, and how much battery life he wants. Currently, the best powerhouse laptop out there is the Sager. If he really wants somethign that's as powerful as a decent desktop, I'd suggest the Sager 7620 Gaming Laptop. It's got an ATI x800 PCIe video card that will be upgradeable, and the price isn't bad.

However...if he wants the best, and he plans to plug it in when he's using it, the Sager 9880 is the monster. You can equip it with either an Nvidia go 6800 Ultra card, or an ATI x800 mobility, up to 2G of ram, up to an intel 670 cpu (prescott, not mobility) and up to 2 drives with raid 0 or 1.

Pretty serious machine actually. There's a review on Tom's Hardware of the predacessor, the 9860, which had the Nvidiag0 6800, instead of the Ultra, if you want to see how the beast can do when compared to a desktop.

peace,

Aielman