Running As Service, And Hiding

localguru

so I want to run it on these school computers, but were running all win98. I want to run it as a service, cuase like I said, most computers arn't logged in thorugh out the day. so I want to run a service and do it in the back ground with out having a icon or dos window open. I've been reading about this and it's a pain in the . to do. does anyone have a sure fire way of doing this?

I have done a few searches on google for you, but came up with nothing :/

What do you mean they aren't logged in through? They are logged out of windows but still on? If so, why is this? I'm just wondering the reason behind logging out of windows :unsure:

i found most of what I need. I have it running as a service in win98. i installed the actual graphical client, and added it to the registry as a service, and it runs in the background now, with out leaving a taskbar icon. But now I think it closes when users log out. And the reason why most of these are logged off, is becuase their in a high school lab. Students come in and log in and work, then log out when they leave, and in between periods, and while no one is using them they stay logged out.

yeah in windows 98 it was easier than I thought. all I did was actully install the full graphical version, not the console. But what I had little bit of trouble with was it always wanted to run when I started win98 with the taskbar version. sao I had to copy the directlry that it was intalled in under programs, then uninstall the program. then copy the directory back. if that makes any sense. then, just add a line in the registry under

localmachine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/runservices

made a new string with the path to the winfah.exe and that was it

when the computer boots up for the first time. before the loggin prompt it will as you the config info like team and name and such. and hit ok, and it starts running in the back ground. and it dosn't show up on the taskbar, or under ctrl-alt-del.

no but when you install the clint on win98, and adds it to the registry and I had a hard time, installing it as a service, becuase whne I would boot, it would load as a service, then try to load again, and it would say can't not run two copies of this program. so I had to copy the directory, and uninstall it, then copy it back, so it woulnd't load twice on me. odd I know