User Friendly Linux?

lost

You can go with gentoo but its not very n00b freindly at all. 5gb should be enough to play but if u really ever plan on doing anything with it then that won't be enough. depending on weatehr ura dual booting of single bootign (in this case im assumeing a single boot) you will need space for a swap partition /boot partition and /root partition. and swap size will very depending on how much ram you have in ure compy. I wouldn't suggest gentoo to start out with try something like Fc4 or even SuSE. Gentoo is really ment for when you know a bit of command line because the whole install is in command line untill you install a gui such as fluxbox, kde, or gnome.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm a lot of people mentioned SuSE. is this the site? http://www.novell.com/products/linuxprofes...inux/index.html i have to pay for it? :(

542154[/snapback]

kinda... That's the professional version of SuSe, unfortunately, the free (personal) version isn't officially supported anymore and was renamed openSuSe, but it can be found here OpenSuSe

At least, I think that's how it happened... I know SuSe personal and Novel Desktop are competing products and they needed to kill one of them... I assume I'm right in the Open SuSe stuff.. :ph34r:

In theory, SWAP should be 2xRAM, but that rule was set back when 32Mb (even 16) was average. I would say you'd be safe with 2Gb of SWAP, to be honest... Though, I'm not really sure why SWAP needs to be 2xRAM, I did know, but my brain is mush right now.