Sign in to follow this  
HoLoDreaM

89 Cutlass Supreme Problems!

I have a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme V6 Auto w/ OD

one day coming home from work i get close to my house and start to notice that my steering started to get a slight grinding noise to it when i turned it hard.. i didnt pay much attention to it, but gradually as i drove it, it got worse... i remember that day that it started that i had to slam my brakes pretty hard to stop for something, i dont know if that had anything to do with it though.... but one day driving to school the grinding noise gets really LOUD... and im at a stop sign and turn the wheel to test it, and it just stops!... sooo this sucks... my friend with me (Sallback) tells me to just go ahead and drive it, its all i could do anyway, i had to get to school, and i had to get to work that day also.. i get to work, and my power steering fluid reservoir is dry.. so i put some in, turn the car on, and run around and look.. theres an inline nut that has loosened up and just needs to be tightened.. i went inside at work, got a few wrenches, came out, tightened it up.. put more fluid in.. turned the car on... its flawless, it works perfect, and it completely silent.. soo i got that fixed... i thought....

so i get home and i hear another grinding noise.. so now im like WTF... i look at that nut and its just fine, still tight, and its not leaking from there.. i look under the car and this time its leaking from near the left wheel... right under the CV and everything... its a slow leak, so ive been filling it up and just driving to work and back and by the time i get back it has a small grind.. so it wasnt bad... and now its just undrivable it leaks so bad... so today, me and my dad put it on a ramp and check it... we look around for awhile, turn the car on and off and he said its coming from the CV joint.. it looks like its coming from the joint where it clamps on.... but then i noticed that its dripping above that.. so i look up and i see a broken yellowish bushing/washer/gasket thing around this loose rubber barely above it.. i couldnt make out what it was because it was too hard to see...

this car was bought with $600 and if this is gonna cost any more than like $100 to fix... im gonna junk it or something.. does anyone have any ideas as to what would be wrong that i could do as a cheap alternative to replacing anything major?

Sounds like power steering pump OR rack and pinion..... Im guessing its gushing fluid by now? Yeah, either one is more than 100 bucks....unless its the pump and you buy a used one....the rack and pinion is ALOT of work and probably could be gotten for around 100 bucks.....

My suggestion....get some more light in there so you can see exactly what it is then report back.

Good luck.

im gonna have to check it out after i get off work today...

i really hate this car... everything keeps screwing up on me... so whats the chances of it being just a hose or loose nut or something?

i really hate this car... everything keeps screwing up on me...

535746[/snapback]

Sell it and buy yourself a volvo :P

well good news... i think i might be getting the firebird keys handed to me soon.. either that or buying a Geo Tracker from one of my moms friends.. ill see how things go