Sign in to follow this  
CmpFreak88

Networking Help

Alright I've got a Westel 327W Router/Modem and it's been letting a lot of junk through so I want to use the Westel as just a modem and then use the linksys as a router. Is this possible? What settings should I look for to get it to work? Thanks.

Yes you can do that very easily. Plug the DSL line into the modeom and then run an ethernet cable from the modem to the wan port on the linksys router and then from the other ports on the linksys router run ethernet cables to each computer you want connected. You may have to go in and configure your router with an account name and password for your ISP depending on how your ISP has your account setup.

sorry marty but I felt like my avatar needed a new look lol my old one I had been using online for over 2 years lol.

your old avatar was crappy any ways :lol: i love dogs (my grandma had a racist pitbull, funny as ****) im stuck with the westel a90 gateway (router/modem) it wont let me do that :lol: oh well, im getting fiber optics when it arrives in new york :D

FIOS is in NY. It is in Syosset already, I know, and it will hopefully be where I live soon.

I understand about the avatar, I just changed mine too. Incidentally, whadda ya think?

I understand about the avatar, I just changed mine too.  Incidentally, whadda ya think?

532945[/snapback]

It is funny, but if somebody doesn't get it or doesn't read the "just kidding" below the sign you could risk major flaming lol.

Hmmm... yeah avatars... :lol:

Anyways, I'd need to configure the Linksys router and not the Westell? Or Both? So the Modem will just be sorta... passive? I'm a little confused. :blink:

Oh if it makes a difference I'm using Verizon... Yeah it automatically connects the Westell when we connect through the software so I don't know how it's doing it or where to look for it.

Edited by CmpFreak88

You have to configure the modem to bridge mode, or passive mode. I forget, but its the mode it isnt in now. . then configure the router. My DSL (bellsouth) uses PPPOE, so I setup the router to connect that way and entered the info needed. It just needed the main accounts email address and password. the password is the phone number the dsl is connected to.

Well I Found This site and followed method two but the stupid Westell router doesn't want to work. I can get the thing to work with only one computer but when I replace the one computer with the linksys router it won't work and I can't manually configure the thing because Verizon automatically does it somehow. Yeah I want the full functionality of the linksys so I went with method #2 on that site and it won't work.

Edited by CmpFreak88