The Art Of Overclocking

D.a.

Hi there peepz,

this is my first topic/post on this really neat forum;

so go a bit easy on me ;)

i've got the following thingz that i would like 2 know & thought u might help me out with a tip/lesson or 2;

* Which formula can i rely on for succesfully overclocking my system?

* What should i avoid or especially pay attention 2?

the stuff that i've been receivin' from people didn't really help me out...as in...i still got nowhere near 2 ocing my system :D

so my real probz is: "What is the exact procedure or order 2 follow that i could/must use for ocing my system?"

if anybody out there feelz like crackin' their headz 2 help me out a BIG thx 2 you in advance. :)

ciao

Alright...

Proc speed = Front Side Bus (FSB) x Multiplier

Multiplier is locked on Intel and AMD systems, and cannot be changed. AMD, however, can be "unlocked" which will allow you to chage the multiplier... most OCing is done via the FSB (front side bus).

In order to OC your system, enter the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) of your PC (Personal Computer) via a keystroke (this keystroke may very from PC to PC... usually, F1, Delete, Esc, F2, or a combinition of keys, please see your motherboard manual for more information) .. you should, in some systems, see a message telling you what key(s) to press to enter the (BIOS) setup.

Once in the BIOS setup, look for a setting that say FSB (may say something different)... usually, it's set to 100, 133, 166, or something of the like... increase this value to overclock you computer.... don't try and go all the way at once, as you'll probably end up frying something or having to reset the BIOS if you do... most people go up in incriments of 5Mhz at a time.

Increase the FSB... reboot into windows, test things out for a while. Run a game, application, 3DMark, something... if all goes well, repeat.

During the OCing proces, the system may become unstable, lock up, or fail to boot.... you can either lower the FSB or attempt to increase the vCore to stabilize things out. Again, after making changes.. test and see everything is ok.... Note: Increaseing the Vcore will result in the CPU getting a LOT warmer.

Heat is a big thing when OCing.. make sure to keep your CPU cool... you can use aditional hardware (DD5, Nexus, CompuNurse) to mesure the temp, or you can use software such as MBM5 and read the temp through windows... using the hardware will result in a more accurate temp reading.

If you get into your BIOS and can't find that you can OC it there... there is software which you can use, such as CPUcool, CPUFSB, and others... they may or may not work, depending on your motherboard.

Any other questions, just ask.

Thanx a million 4 the info.

i'll get started on it right away ;)

as 2 my specs, here they are:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asus P4T-E (i850 Chipset)

Intel P4 1.60A (1.16 Ghz)

FSB: 100

Most people tend to lower the multiplier and raise the FSB. This allows for a larger FSB than normal, and usually improves preformance... remember tho, if you lower the multiplier and do NOT change the FSB, you are UNDERclocking your CPU, and it will be slower.

lostdog: do not, I repeat do not continue putting people down. The kid is new, he doesnt know whats what and he doenst want to mess up his system so he's trying to be as specific as possible and work off our knowledge so he doesnt mess up his system. Jeez man what are you going to do, follow him around the board and post hte Im with Stupid emotocon after everthing he says? Give the kid some encouragment and if you dont have anything helpful to say then dont say anything. This forum is for helping others and not for putting people down.

D.a.: Make sure you keep your temps in a safe place, IMHO anything under 50 is okay, that goes for under full load too(ie running cpu at 100% to see what temp it maxes out at) You picked a good cpu to start with because if you fry it who cares? I mean, its just a pentium :) hehe, you'll be fine, just use common sense and keep an eye on things and you'll be fine.

Man what are you talking about, I'm not following him around, this is his 1st post. I didn't realize that the I'm with stupied meant the other posts, I don't go around putting people down. I'm with stupied meant to me I was the stupied guy :unsure: and i'm sorry if I offended anyone and Ronin you need to relax and not peak on the newbies ;)

ah, it looked like after the last 2 posts he made you were just saying he was dumb. My bad I guess. I have been on edge latley, what with my desire to destroy humanity up and all...I should just go read a nice book and drink some hot choclate :)