N00b's Programming Challenge #1

markiemrboo

Task

Make a text pyramid out of stars :)

Specification

• The program should ask how many "levels" of the pyramid to draw.
  • The program should only accept "levels" input between 1 and 25
  • You don't have to include the numbers at the side showing the current "level" of the pyramid, as in my sample output

Sample output

http://bone.bone.servebeer.com/Pyramid.zip

How many levels to draw: 10

01          *
02         ***
03        *****
04       *******
05      *********
06     ***********
07    *************
08   ***************
09  *****************
10 *******************

Hints

• I would start off just drawing the stars, not the spaces. So 3 levels, for example, would look something like:

• If you do decide you want to include the current level at the side, you may want to add leading 0's, or a single space?, to numbers < 10 so it doesn't screw up the output.

Language

I suppose any language goes, but C/C++/Java is preferred (or any other language I can read, PHP?)

Winner

I guess the winner would be the one who:

• Gets the program output correct and has code which actually compiles and runs (KB! lol)
  • Has the simplest/"smartest" code (contradiction? :) very much my own judgement of which I like best here I suppose)
  • Has the "best" validation / error checking.
  • Has good / appropriate comments

Won't worry too much about speed on this one!

You have 5 days (till Monday) to complete the program. Should be plenty enough!

Winner gets 5 OCC points (from my bank), gotta be n00bs only though (I know who you are mr verran!!! :P)

Posting Source Code

If you're going to post code on this thread don't post it in plain text, please. I think I am going to adapt that "encryption" program I made ages a go so they can be posted "encrypted" to try and stop any "cheating" :P

• Download http://bone.bone.servebeer.com/PostingEncrypt.zip
  • In explorer select all the files you want encrypted and drag them over PostingEncrypt.exe
  • Hopefully no errors!! You should see some .enc and .key files generated for each file.
  • Zip up and post only the generated .enc files.
  • Zip up and PM me the .key files

Really you can just PM the source instead, but.... that wouldn't be as tormenting as knowing the source code is posted, you have it on your computer but can't cheat because it's encrypted and unreadable :lol:

Of course, along with the .enc's feel free to post your .exe's

Disclaimer

I may well update the winning criteria. I'm guessing it'll mainly be my own judgement though. I could try and get Verran to evaluate them all and see which he thinks is best and compare winners (if we don't both agree on the same one) / come to a joint final conclusion?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does linux come with python?? cause if it does i might use that to do it ..

i think i have pretty much that exact program saved for .... turing i think ... u mind if i just send u that ..

Edited by danyo64

yeah .. but then i have to LEARN it.. w/e .. i was gonna do it eventually

I GOT MY SECOND STAR!!! AND IM OFFICIALLY AN 'ADVANCED MEMBER' .. thats pretty danged bitching

Edited by danyo64

LMAO .. ill take my brothers java program and learn just enough java to do it.. unless.. turing .. come on man .. that would take like a min and a half in turing

make #2 be to make "HI" out of hi in other words a bunch of little HIs that make out a big HI

Edited by danyo64

Umm... I'll try :P.

BUT dang YOU FOR INSULTING MY CODE! At least the logic's there!

EDIT: Well, this is going to be a pain... I'll try using a for loop instead of a while loop, seeing as my yet-to-have-the-source-code-released fighting game dosn't like while loops.

Umm... I'll try :P.

BUT dang YOU FOR INSULTING MY CODE! At least the logic's there!

EDIT: Well, this is going to be a pain... I'll try using a for loop instead of a while loop, seeing as my yet-to-have-the-source-code-released fighting game dosn't like while loops.

530196[/snapback]

:lol: the logic is usually there yeah, i'll give you that one! I used two for loops for what it's worth........

Ok. I am confused you dont want us to post code in this stuff

Right???

530262[/snapback]

lol.

Well, my idea was:

Stick it through that encrypter thing I posted, post the .enc file but NOT the .key. PM me the number in the .key file then I will be able to "decrypt" / unmangle it :) But that was really for like....final code stuffs..... and to stop people stealing code and cheating and you all ending up with identical programs :lol:

In short, yeah, didn't really want people posting code in the code tags if it's to be a challenge :)

EDIT: Updated post, added my .exe thing incase anyone wants to look at it? 'tis wonderful, really!!!!