Need Paint

Gonna be painting a case soon, and I was wondering if any of you guys knew what the right kind of paint would be. I thought spray paint would cut it, but my buddy says no. So, what kind of paint should I use?

Here we go a paintig:

Mr Black Cat

yup...pick it up at an autoparts store =)

i'm gonna help you out here:

aight first thing....sand it down with about 300 grit. you just want to start seeing the silver metal beneath the paint. after all that, get a spray can of primer from the auto store. Put on 2 thin coats, just make sure that you can't see much silver from under the paint, and make sure that the first coat is dry before you put the next one on.

next, put a couple coats of the actual base coat on. get about 3 spray cans (you'll need it if you want to do the entire case) of the color you want. spray very, VERY light coats. don't try to cover the entire surface on the first coat. it takes about 3 before it starts taking form..

after the 3rd coat or so, grab some 600grit sandpaper and sand the dry paint down lightly. this is to get out all the imperfections, such as hair, dust, scratches, etc. put 2 last coats on after that. always make sure the surface is clean before you spray.

after you've got that (don't sand after those last coats) get a can of clear-coat. take about 3-4 medium thickness coats of clearcoat, and then you're about 90% done.

wait for the whole thing to dry (about 2 days). then you can put your box back together, or if you want it to look nice, wait for the paintjob to cure for about a week, and you can take a high-quality wax, and just wax it. then lemme tell you, you'll have a definent eye-opening case.

and if you want to take it even a step further, get a polish called "Curator's Choice" at http://www.englishcustompolishing.com and use that as well.

hope that helps!

I have been thinking about paiting my case as well, though I'm not sure how I'd cope with all that down time.

I was planning on car paint if I did it. Would be nice to paint it with some colour flip paint but it costs too much.

just take it to a body shop and tell them youll fix thier pcs if they paint your case. they have tons to spare and will get a clean result

529647[/snapback]

Haha they'll be sand blasting a computer case, i love it.

just take it to a body shop and tell them youll fix thier pcs if they paint your case. they have tons to spare and will get a clean result

529647[/snapback]

omfg that's such a great idea!!

either that or tell them that you'll be their "IT Guy" for a week and then just dissapear once you get your case xD!

I have been thinking about paiting my case as well, though I'm not sure how I'd cope with all that down time.

I was planning on car paint if I did it. Would be nice to paint it with some colour flip paint but it costs too much.

529639[/snapback]

I think I may start doing it soon, but.. what about just lying the inards on the desk for the duration of the project. Wouldn't that decrease the impact of the downtime?

My case was a black Antec SOHO server SX1040B before I did this to it with spray paint:

91885711.jpg

Not to pat myself on the back or anything, but I think it turned out alright. Keep in mind that this is white on top of black and the inside was raw (now black).

• 2 weeks later...