Osx86 Leak

Verran

I figured this would be posted by now, but haven't seen it. If it is already, then sorry :P

I guess the x86 OS/X beta was leaked, and a couple websites put out a challenge to bypass the TPM check on it so it could run on "any old x86". Apparently it took about 12 hours :P

I read about it here.

On one hand, it sucks that OS/X is leaking free to all these people, but on the other hand, I only half feel bad because this whole "trusted" chip thing seems really lame to me.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This wonderful news. I was hoping to be able to dual-boot Windows and OSX when they came out with their Intel version. Now I'll be able to do it!!!!  :D

527149[/snapback]

Well... yes and no. This version works, but since it's a cracked leaked beta, it's no so much.... how you say...... legal. Plus, you know that OS/X's update software will be checking for and "repairing" these fixes when it runs. So staying up to date with OS/X on non-Apple hardware will be tough.

The good news out of all this is how huge the response was from coders. Cracking through the TPM code in 12 hours is awesome. I'm not for pirating, but I am for fighting trusted computing. You think Steam is bad, you'll surely hate all this new trusted stuff. The intent of most of this trusted stuff is presented in a way that makes it seem very handy, but the core of it allows for so much shadiness that I don't like it one bit.

Plus, Apple's TPM chip is lame too. If their hardware was comparable in price and performance, then they wouldn't have to force people to use it. But they don't want to be in the same pool with Windows, because there's already such fierce competition on PC hardware. They'd rather enjoy the same monopoly they've had for years. I don't blame them for trying (it's smart business), but I also don't expect people to take it with a smile either :)

Well...  yes and no.  This version works, but since it's a cracked leaked beta, it's no so much.... how you say......  legal.  Plus, you know that OS/X's update software will be checking for and "repairing" these fixes when it runs.  So staying up to date with OS/X on non-Apple hardware will be tough.

527156[/snapback]

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of what PearPC's original intent was. I would buy a copy of OS X and be able to run it on my PC via a crack or something. It wouldn't be pirating, just bypassing of the TPM.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of what PearPC's original intent was. I would buy a copy of OS X and be able to run it on my PC via a crack or something. It wouldn't be pirating, just bypassing of the TPM.

527162[/snapback]

Yeah, that'd work. But like I said, you know the OS/X built in updater is going to look for that crack everytime. So you'll have to get cracked updates too, which might be hard. It looks like there's pretty strong support for the whole thing at the moment though, so who knows. There might be a whole community that's dedicated to running cracked OS/X. I agree though, I'm goint to try :P

And as far as what Bionic said, I agree completely. I think they see dollar signs from all these people buying the new hardware, but I don't think that will happen. If they'd just let people replace windows with OS/X outright, they'd make a lot of cash.

One of the articles I read said that this cracked version is actually running FASTER than what the testers at Apple have reported. They're not sure if it's due to inferiorities in the new Apple/Intel builds, or if the latest performance numbers from Apple are just old, or if the TPM really slows it all down by that much.

• 2 weeks later...