Sign in to follow this  
kewlboxer2

Gawd Help Me, Is It Mobo Or Cpu

ok, ive had my venice for awhile now, and i just recently got a new mobo, a dfi nf4 ultra-d to be exact, and i never really went to get it stable. but today id thought i try it. so i started with the ram divider at 1/2, LDT at 2x, CPU multi at 4x, and everything else at stock settings. booted into windows at 800mhz, opened up prime95 and set it to in-place fft, then open clockgen and got it up to 390Mhz before it rebooted, so i thought ok cpu and mobo have the capability to hit ~380-385 max htt.then i set everything back to optimized defaults. Booted into windows opened prime and set it to small fft and started raising it got to 260mhz before i got and error, so rebooted uped vcore by .025 and booted back and set all the . back up again to my surprise i only hit 270mhz, rebooted added some more voltage booted back set all the . back up and still only 270, sometimes less, no matter what voltage nothing past 270. should i drop multi to 8.5x or 8x? and press on? or is this the best i can get?

It might be your ram holding you back. In your first tests you was using a 1:2 divider and now i assume your running 1:1. also are you a 3x LDT now, or a 4X. If your using a 4x that could be your problem.

ok i tried a divider to no avail, it wouldnt even boot, i get this BSOD on startup. PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. i said screw it backed it down to 260 fsb set to stock volts and prime95 is on its way. I think is time for a new install, i guess ill have to wait until my xp pro replacement disk ships out on the 15th. M$ is backordered on xp pro disks...WTF!!!

That is probably about the max for your chip...could possible get some more out of it if you took it slow and OCed the 'correct' way.

What ram are you using and what latency settings on it? The more you tell us about your rig, the more we can help.

I'm assuming 9x multi?

Try to run 3-4-4-8, If those are TCCD chips (which I think they are) they won't want a lot of voltage and usually prefer about 2.7v

That is probably going to be about the limit on your ram w/o a divider, you could try doing that.

Also, be sure that your LDT is at 3x or lower.

Another thing, if possible, you'll probably want to get like memtest or something so that you can test your OC before loading into Windows with an unstable OC and corrupting something...(been there, done that...a time or two)