Fsb Settings With A7n8x

I-Can-D

Hi

my first post here, i'm a noob when it cums to overclocking. But i got interested so I thought i'd try a little few tweaks here and there to try and get that bit more out of my system, first i upped the AGP card voltage from 1.5 to 1.7 no problems there, next i upped the FSB from default 133 (cpu running at 1.73Ghz) to 135 (multiplier staying at default 13x) no problem. I upped again from 135 to 139 saved the settings to the BIOS it went to restart but nothing happened, i restarted again and it booted up fine and reported a speed of 1.8Ghz with WCPUID. I was using ASUS Probe 2 to check the temperature and it was nearing 52 here, but i still was thinking about a little bit more, i could switch the fan up to median or high if i was going to use the higher FSB mainly for gaming. I went back into bios and upped the FSB to 143. The comp wouldn't restart so i had to clear the CMOS. I then tried getting the settings back to the 139 FSB but it wasn't having any of it. I'm now back to the normal 133 FSB but I wanna know is there anything i'm doing majorally wrong? should i be upping the CPU voltage from 1.75 to like 1.80 or something. Cheerz for any help

setup below:

A7N8X mobo (deluxe) BIos version 1002

AMD Athlon XP 2100+

Thermaltake Volcano 7+

Corsair 3200 DDR Memory

Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro

Maxtor 540DX 60GB HD

Antec True Power 380W PSU

After some more messing around, i can get the FSB up to 145 maximum, but it seems to make the system more slower. i set the voltage higher too, anything over 145 and it tells me i can't proceed without downclocking the CPU. My CPU is not unlocked so i can't change the multiplier, is that right? ok so now i returned the settings back to normal and i seem to be getting about 1000 marks lower in 3dmark and there are 2 lines appearing at the top and left side of the screen just before each test is run, a similar line appears in UT2003 although i don't notice any change playing it. My memory latency settings are set to 2-2-2-6. the 6 being the Active to precharge delay, is that something to do with it? should I assign my graphics card its own freqency? any help is all good. cheerz

A7N8X mobo (deluxe) BIOS version 1002

AMD Athlon XP 2100+

Thermaltake Volcano 7+

Corsair DDR Memory XMS3200 CAS2

Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro

Maxtor 540DX 60GB HD

Antec True Power 380W PSU

well, that the risk wit OCing... it could be that you've damaged the system , maybe just a little.:)

well, you don't need to set the 3d card in it's own frequency, just at auto :)

and uhm, yeah it could be you set the settings of your memory a bit to high, but did you also give it more voltage?

greetz

Yeah i gave the memory more voltage, i also tried changing the multiplier by lowering it and then increasing the FSB but it just results in the Speech reporter telling me that overclocking failed, even if i calculate it so that the internal clock will be 1.73ghz the default for the XP 2100+

:D Nothing got damaged it was just my CPU being crap, its a palamino :( , here i was trying to get something special to happen, i guess it will never happen with a palamino. I changed my graphics settings and things are working fine, better than before since i also fine tuned the memory settings to 4-2-2-2 I get a score of 13870 in 3Dmark when i overclock to 1.89Ghz @ 145 FSB and 12946 with 133 FSB & CPU @ 1.73Ghz. Best scores i've had yet. I know theres no way to get as much performance out of my cpu in comparison to a thrbred but is there easy ways to unlock em? If not any other recommendations to what i can do to improve performance? cheerz

Thats nice. I got me a XP 2000 with my fsb at 146mhz x 12.5 (not unlocked) Mines stable as crap with no voltage increase. All aboot the Throughbred. Is yer Cpu new? If its really new you should bring it back to the store and get a new one. Some are better then others. I went through like 8 getting this one. All others either burned up or were ghey retarded and couldnt get past 140mhz. Anywho thats a nice 3dmark score. Lmao most of it is yer Vc. Use pc mark :D:bah:

Maybe you could change the battery on your board. Read somewhere that a lot of boot-problems were resolved doing this because many batterys on the A7N8X have a just too low voltage. If u do, try and gat some 3.3 Volt battery. ;)

OK i made a bad decision not looking into which core my CPU would be before buying the XP2100+ so it looks like im stuck with the palomino core, I do have one dilemma though, i've seen guides such as this one http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...eid=1009&page=2 but i daren't take a dremel to my precious CPU cause im likely to bollox it up! is there any other way i can get round it?

Are these bridges correct:

L10 [closed:open]

L3 [open : open : closed : closed]

L4 [open : open: closed : closed]

Thanx for any help on this, i just wanna make sure that im doing it the right way, if anyone out there has an overclocked a palomino XP 2100+ what are the overclocking capabilities like, nothing compared to the tbread i know but what sorta speeds can i achieve and if i made a succesful overclock could i raise my FSB to over my current limit which is 145?

Cheerz

I have a simiar setup. My ASUS board is overclocking great, but I get the same problems. (you know, one time it works, and another time it dont...) I have just learned by trial and error, that you have to try to crash your system in order to test its stability. For example, before I started applying extra cooling and such, my system would work great at about 2.45ghz until I tried alot of HDD r/w. -crash-

ASUS boards are funny like that, I have found. Really, It takes days for me to really find out the stability of my system, but with these boards, it is tell-tale what problems are caused by OC'ing... Ususally a random reboot. (actually, it will random reboot, and if the settings are bad enough, the board will automatically go into correct BIOS menu for me...)

But yes. -This- board is very sensitive to major OC'ing. If I was to go from 0 to 60in 1 step, as apposed to smal steps, the board will not POST. Wierd also...