New Mushkin Redline!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try a windows repair too and see if that works. If you have ruled out ram it could be HDD, OS, hardware conflict, or even the cpu's memory controller, but that is unlikely as the SD's have strong mem controllers but it is still possible.

try a windows repair too and see if that works. If you have ruled out ram it could be HDD, OS, hardware conflict, or even the cpu's memory controller, but that is unlikely as the SD's have strong mem controllers but it is still possible.

523322[/snapback]

yea im working on hard drive and OS right now. and i memtested one of the sticks of mushkin and it went through 10 passes without an error before i stopped it. i'm testing the second stick as we speak.

cool. what i'd do is a BIOS reset and jumpers to stock and try memtest with both sticks in together. i've had a few cases where sticks will test fine individually but not together.

usually if it reboots during the XP load screen the OS is #$%ed. When you put this hardware together did you do a fresh load of Windows?

cool. what i'd do is a BIOS reset and jumpers to stock and try memtest with both sticks in together. i've had a few cases where sticks will test fine individually but not together.

usually if it reboots during the XP load screen the OS is #$%ed. When you put this hardware together did you do a fresh load of Windows?

523329[/snapback]

i was actually just going to ask about that, seperate or together. but i've also got some wierd things to report.

first off, i did the bios reset and jumpers before and that didnt work.

but anyways, i tested the first stick of mushkin, and it went through about 10 passes, like i said earlier, with no errors. i tested the second stick for only a pass, and it had no errors earlier. now i just tested both of them together for a pass without any errors. memtest86 says usually all erros can be found with one pass [i'm not using test9, if that makes a difference].

but the wierd part is that yesterday i had tested them both together when the problem first came up while i was at work. and when i came back it had gone through like 22 passes and had 800,000 errors or some huge error count. is one pass really enough or should i let it go for longer?

Loop test #5 for 20-100  passes.

523369[/snapback]

thanks, i just set it to do that. when thats finished hopefully i have an idea of which ram isnt working and which is. and i just formated an old hard drive and am going to start with a clean install, see how that works out.

but the wierd part is that yesterday i had tested them both together when the problem first came up while i was at work. and when i came back it had gone through like 22 passes and had 800,000 errors or some huge error count. is one pass really enough or should i let it go for longer?

523350[/snapback]

i posted this yesterday somewhere on here: at my shop on my machines i always run memtest overnight... always. cause when i first did it i let it run like 8 passes and it would be clean... one day i forgot to kill the system before leaving work, it had been running memtest for like 5 passes, and then i came back next day it had found something on the 10th pass. i was shocked cause i thought that would never ever happen.

you've already put a buttload of time into it - i'd send BOTH sticks back to mushkin or the vendor you got them from, just say together they failed memtest and that's all you need to say, they aren't gonna be mad cause you didn't find out which stick, they'll make sure to send you a working pair back and you'll be good to go.

i posted this yesterday somewhere on here: at my shop on my machines i always run memtest overnight... always. cause when i first did it i let it run like 8 passes and it would be clean... one day i forgot to kill the system before leaving work, it had been running memtest for like 5 passes, and then i came back next day it had found something on the 10th pass. i was shocked cause i thought that would never ever happen.

you've already put a buttload of time into it - i'd send BOTH sticks back to mushkin or the vendor you got them from, just say together they failed memtest and that's all you need to say, they aren't gonna be mad cause you didn't find out which stick, they'll make sure to send you a working pair back and you'll be good to go.

523436[/snapback]

yea see, i just left it on again and it started errors after a few hours. but i ran the single stick an hour or so and it didn't. should i return to newegg, or mushkin? and i still dont know why it wont boot with good ram

yea i memtested them together while i was at work, and got alot of errors. i'm going to test each stick tomorrow. im just hoping nothing i did caused the ram to go bad. but i do remember it wouldnt boot on stock voltage, when i first put it in. [and yea, i got it from newegg]

but now i put the ram i was using, that i know is good, back in. and i'm still getting a stop error on boot up. im memtesting that ram right now to double check that isnt bad either. but now im getting the error with the different ram? i mean come on.

523088[/snapback]

I'd bet $1 that your memory controller is fokked. I doubt it had anything to do with the voltage though. DFI says that 3.3 to the Ram on their boards is ok, mushkin says that the redline is guaranteed to 3.3. I've seen OC's with that ram at over 4v.

Also, a blue scree of death does NOT usualy mean your OS is fokked. And there is absolutely NO reason whatsoever to "re-Format" when you install new ram, or any other hardware for that matter. I've changed from Intel - Nvidia - Sis ect. and never re-formatted my drive. You just need to uninstall the old drivers before changing out the hardware.

Re-Formatt..... Sheesh!

I'd bet $1 that your memory controller is fokked.  I doubt it had anything to do with the voltage though.  DFI says that 3.3 to the Ram on their boards is ok, mushkin says that the redline is guaranteed to 3.3.  I've seen OC's with that ram at over 4v.

523476[/snapback]

how would the memory controller mess up, and is there a way i can test it?

ok well i got it booting. i reinstalled the operating system, using the old kingston ram.

the mushkin redline [which has not given me a single error on memtest, each stick, or together, after hours of testing, but STILL will not boot] i'm going to send back. i dont know whats wrong with that. i'm just hoping there is nothign wrong with my cpu. i'm still looking for a way where i can test it's memory controller, if anyone has ideas or suggestions

Edited by ickler

If the memory makes it through dozens of error free passes of memtest at its ratted speed/votlage/cooling, there is probably nothing wrong with it. Probably nothing wrong with the CPU's memory controler either.

Can you tell us exactly what setting you were using for the memory, the cpu, and the motherboard? Do you have active cooling on the memory?