New Mushkin Redline!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 ickler

ickler

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:37 PM

i just got my 2x512 mushkin redline xp4000. supposedly good stuff.

i'm using a DFI LP nf4 Ultra-D. i set jumper 17 to positions 2 and 3, so that i can use the higher voltage. and i set the dram voltage controler to 3.4v. but now i can't boot, it usually restarts after the xp loading bar finishes. am i forgetting anything?

#2 Nerm

Nerm

OCC Beefcake

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:53 PM

Yes, that is exellent ram.

Ok, let me get this right you upped the dram voltage to 3.4v's from stock without increasing anything else? Start out with a little less voltage and see what happens.

Rig #1 :: Q6600 @ 3.8Ghz :: 2x HD4850 Crossfire :: Asus P5K3 Premium Black Pearl ::

Rig #2 :: i7-3930K @ 4Ghz :: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series :: Evga GTX 670 :: Asus P9X79 Pro :: OCZ Vertex 256GB SSD ::
HTPC :: 4850e :: HD2600xt :: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H :: 1TB Storage ::
OCC Site Rules :: Site Help FAQ :: Extreme Cooling FAQ :: OCC Benchmark Team

#3 ickler

ickler

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 02:03 PM

Yes, that is exellent ram.

Ok, let me get this right you upped the dram voltage to 3.4v's from stock without increasing anything else? Start out with a little less voltage and see what happens.

View Post

i was under the impression that that is what voltage it needed to opperate. also, i tried it on 2.6 and 3.0, and 3.3. same thing.

edit: i also just started at 2.6 and stepped it all the way back to 3.3. same thing every single time

Edited by ickler, 04 August 2005 - 02:12 PM.

#4 Nerm

Nerm

OCC Beefcake

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:21 PM

Ok, post all the info of your rig (eg. cpu, psu, etc.). If you set the voltage to 3.4v the first time you booted the rig then there is a likely chance you fried the ram. Will the rig boot into safe mode?

Rig #1 :: Q6600 @ 3.8Ghz :: 2x HD4850 Crossfire :: Asus P5K3 Premium Black Pearl ::

Rig #2 :: i7-3930K @ 4Ghz :: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series :: Evga GTX 670 :: Asus P9X79 Pro :: OCZ Vertex 256GB SSD ::

#5 Puck

Puck

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3101 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:24 PM

Ok, post all the info of your rig (eg. cpu, psu, etc.). If you set the voltage to 3.4v the first time you booted the rig then there is a likely chance you fried the ram. Will the rig boot into safe mode?

View Post

:withstupid: Many mobos and ram will oc far if only if you take it in small steps - trying to boot first time with high voltage or big oc can be problematic. Did you have ram cooling? With 3.4v ddr will get hotter then you think without some air going over it.

-i7 4790k @ 4.9ghz 24/7 - Asus Sabertooth Z97 MK1 - 2X4GB Patriot Viper Extreme - RX580 8GB - 28" Samsung 4K - Dual PSU CM SilentPro M 1Kw Main/OCZ Z-Series Z850w Slave - Custom MM Extended Ascension - Logitech G502/G710+/Homemade Stainless mousepad -

CPU Cooled by: 2x MCP655 pumps, Archimedes TEC Waterblock w/TN669 TEC, Dew Point controller, 2x Black Ice GTX Gen2 480 Quads, 33x 80cfm 120mm Server fans, DD dual bay res w/XSPC Res plug Temp probe

GPUs Cooled by: Modded MCP655, 2xModded Enzotech Sapphire CPU Waterblocks, Zalman RAMsinks, modded stock plate VRM cooling, Phobya res, Aquacomputer AMS 280 Rad

Wow, puck just kinda summed that one up for most of us lol. I agree with puck. :)

Man Puck... I couldn't have said it better myself!

Current Rides: 93 Medium Patriot Red NA 383 Z28 - 2012 Metallic Spark Black Nitrous ZX14R - 09 Victory Red Z51 6sp LS3 Corvette

#6 ickler

ickler

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:27 PM

:withstupid:  Many mobos and ram will oc far if only if you take it in small steps - trying to boot first time with high voltage or big oc can be problematic. Did you have ram cooling? With 3.4v ddr will get hotter then you think without some air going over it.

View Post

yea, i had an 80mm fan over it, and also i started it in 2.6 and it wouldnt boot.

the rig is:

Thermaltake PurePower 680w
AMD 64 3700+ San Diego
DFI LanParty UT Ultra-D
ATI X700
and then the redline ram

im gonna update the bios and then run memtest

Edited by ickler, 04 August 2005 - 03:44 PM.

#7 Guest_Raven65_*

Guest_Raven65_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:50 PM

???????, why did we oc the ram with out doing anything else? Also per Mushkin do you have a ram cooler fan on those things. They tell you you need one.

#8 ickler

ickler

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:21 PM

???????, why did we oc the ram with out doing anything else? Also per Mushkin do you have a ram cooler fan on those things. They tell you you need one.

View Post

yea, i had an 80mm fan over it. and also i put it in on stock voltage and it wouldn't boot, so i was under the impression that it needed more to operate properly. i didnt just pop it in and set it to 3.3

#9 Kash

Kash

Long Time Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5491 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:51 PM

See if you can test the RAM in another system. If the RAM works in another system, then you probably have a bad board or some other problem. If not, then try each stick separately; it's possible that one of them could be bad.

It's possible that you could have just gotten bad RAM. Look up the RMA policy of where you got it from. I know Newegg will replace it no problem. If the place you got it from won't replace it, then just use Mushkin's warranty service. Either way, you shouldn't worry about getting potentially bad RAM easily replaced.

Intel i5 2500K | Gigabyte Z68
16GB G.Skill PC3-12800 (9-9-9-24) | EVGA GeForce GTX 560

#10 ickler

ickler

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:12 AM

See if you can test the RAM in another system. If the RAM works in another system, then you probably have a bad board or some other problem. If not, then try each stick separately; it's possible that one of them could be bad.

It's possible that you could have just gotten bad RAM. Look up the RMA policy of where you got it from. I know Newegg will replace it no problem. If the place you got it from won't replace it, then just use Mushkin's warranty service. Either way, you shouldn't worry about getting potentially bad RAM easily replaced.

View Post

yea i memtested them together while i was at work, and got alot of errors. i'm going to test each stick tomorrow. im just hoping nothing i did caused the ram to go bad. but i do remember it wouldnt boot on stock voltage, when i first put it in. [and yea, i got it from newegg]

but now i put the ram i was using, that i know is good, back in. and i'm still getting a stop error on boot up. im memtesting that ram right now to double check that isnt bad either. but now im getting the error with the different ram? i mean come on.

#11 Nerm

Nerm

OCC Beefcake

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:55 AM

what is the error message you are getting at bootup? Can you boot into safe mode?

#12 ickler

ickler

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:50 AM

what is the error message you are getting at bootup? Can you boot into safe mode?

View Post

sometimes i don't get an error message, and it just restarts. sometimes i do and its a bsod stop erro that flashes so fast i can barely see it. it says something about the system initialization manager, and then some hex value, and the system is shutting down.

edit UPDATE: ok, i managed to get a picture of it before it flashed away.
it says:
"STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process...
status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down."

and no, i get the same problem when i try and boot into safe mode. also, i memtested the ram im currently using [the stuff i had before the redline] for 6 hours and not a single error. so i dont think its the ram

Edited by ickler, 05 August 2005 - 09:54 AM.