Geforce ? Athlon Fx 59 ?

yeah, but the multi core cpu's do nearly as well in single threaded apps, and excel in multithreaded apps, and make everyday multitasking much quicker

most of you have to close down IE or Firefox, and close all other running apps before starting a game, thats been the norm, with these dual core CPU's and windows xp, you can leave all that open and still run the game fine, assuming your memory subsystem can handle the load

522428[/snapback]

and I've been doing that for years... even as far back as my old 1.33ghz Athlon!

why do dual core athlons do just as well as a single core in single threaded apps? BECAUSE THEY ARE THE EXACT CORE, JUST 2 OF THEM ARE ON THE CHIP!

how hard of a concept is this?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why wait for dual core? it will perform exactly teh same as a single core processor on single processor app. its like a 2-in 1 chip lol

522480[/snapback]

Actually, if you think about it, it's more like 1.5 chips because of the secondary systems needed for a single processor aren't doubled, they're shared by each core.

that's right! they share the HTT bus. so it's got a pretty big bottle neck there.

think about the opteorn... why are there different number designations at the begining of the name? 1xx, 2xx, and 8xx?

1xx series opterons are not able to run in SMP. just like the athlon 64 chips they only have 1 HTT link. so they only have a single entry point to the system bus. the 2xx series have 2 links... 2 entry points to the bus. the 8xx series have 8 links and 8 points of entry to the bus.

the X2 and 1xx dual core opterons have only a single point of entry for both cores! a daul 2xx series opteron has 2 entry points.

I'd like to see the XP Home users get that X2 to run in SMP. Oops, that's right, XP Home doesn't support SMP, only HyperThreading.

Trust me, not everyone out there runs XP Professional.

Meh, another version of Windows to worry about. XP should have only come in a Pro variant, none of this waterdowned Fischer Price nonsense.

actually I'm doing real good today. cooler temps, sunny sky. went fishing today. did some wheeling. took my daughter down to the stables so she could ride a horse... nice relaxing day :)