Looking To Learn Something

Blue_cow

Hey there, with all of the talk of programming around here, i am inspired to learn. Im wondering where you guys learned from? If theres a book or a website where you guys learned alot about your programming it would be awesome if you could post it here.

Also, what is a good language to learn. I know a bit of Basic but thats about it. I need something to fill the gaps on the boring days. Any suggestions would be appreciated

^_^

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there, with all of the talk of programming around here, i am inspired to learn. Im wondering where you guys learned from? If theres a book or a website where you guys learned alot about your programming it would be awesome if you could post it here.

Also, what is a good language to learn. I know a bit of Basic but thats about it. I need something to fill the gaps on the boring days. Any suggestions would be appreciated

^_^

521494[/snapback]

A book on the programming language you want to learn will probably get you quite far :P

I can't say I have ever read an actual papery book on a programming language before though :blink: ... It's just been online "tutorials", man pages / documentation (as in.. php.net's function reference) and University for me basically.

Good language to learn. Some people are gonna say VB, some might say Delphi..... some might say PHP.......... some might say C (me?). Basically up to you. Pick one and learn it lol..

Hmm actually... If you know some HTML (and like making web pages) then PHP can be quite fun! It's pretty easy and is rather similar to C.....

I have used a lot of different language books for my coding classes back in college, and I have to say that Deitel books are very good. If you're doing C++, Deitel + Deitel's "How to Program C++" is the best programming book I have ever read. In this day and age though, you can get pretty much anything you need online (read: free).

Also, markie... you mention PHP a lot. Why would one use PHP? What do you use it for? I've done a bit of reading on the language, but haven't gotten a solid answer as to what it is best used for. Care to elaborate?

Also, markie...  you mention PHP a lot.  Why would one use PHP?  What do you use it for?  I've done a bit of reading on the language, but haven't gotten a solid answer as to what it is best used for.  Care to elaborate?

521510[/snapback]

Dynamic web stuff mainly :) It's like ASP, only far better in my opinion....

Well, if you'd like to prepare for the future, start out with C. Visual Basic 6 is a bit easier to learn, but has a slower run time and less power. Alot of people start out with Java, but make sure you don't go farther then the basics on that, before you get into multiple inheritence, virtual members, pointers to classes, and polymorphism (Why didn't you just SAY that different functions with the same name would be called respective to the arguments?).

The best place for programming stuff BY FAR is http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com, and pick up some In Easy Steps books from Barnes & Noble for the language you want to learn. Unlike the For Dummies series, they get down to the point of things and are actually accurate (Because EVERYONE knows that processors really read the very source code of the program instead of the binary, and the \\ was a result of MS-DOS conflicts). And, they're only $10 at Barnes & Noble (I'll let you use my membership card if you want to save a dollar, if you're a stingy butthole like me).

Anyway, ask yourself what you want to do with programming. If you want to make GUI and graphical applications from the start, dive into Visual Basic and learn some C at the same time so you can compare and contrast the two languages. If you want to get down to the nitty gritty... <3 x86 :D.

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

Alot of people start out with Java, but make sure you don't go farther then the basics on that, before you get into multiple inheritence, virtual members, pointers to classes, and polymorphism (Why didn't you just SAY that different functions with the same name would be called respective to the arguments?).

521567[/snapback]

What happens if he *wants* to learn the more advanced stuff? :P

BTW there are no pointers in Java :rolleyes: and what you have described as polymorphism sounds more like function overloading to me....

and on that note I sleep :)

I started out on a book that Leo Laporte was talking about on the Screen Savers.... 'Programming For Teens' or something. That was back in the good TSS days, aka NO G4. Well, the book was pretty good, and it came with alot of software. It got me started in Blitz Basic... I then took what I knew and went to Visual Basic... ( BB and VB are almost identical, VB being more advanced. ) I kinda stopped a couple months ago... I was modeling for a DBZ mod for HL2 for a while, which is irrelevant. ( ? )

Anyway, I would say if you are ok with basic, start on C; read books, tuts, maybe get a class at a local college. You can always come here for help when nessecary too, you know. :wink:

What happens if he *wants* to learn the more advanced stuff? :P

BTW there are no pointers in Java :rolleyes: and what you have described as polymorphism sounds more like function overloading to me....

and on that note I sleep :)

521587[/snapback]

Oh... my... god... no pointers?

EVIL!

Oh... my... god... no pointers?

EVIL!

521637[/snapback]

No pointers! AFAIK basic data types (int etc) are always passed around 'by value', anything else (objects...) is 'by reference', including arrays of basic data types.