Desserter Jailed

apostolics

is this guy worthy of jail? i would have sent him to do paper work in iraq as punishment instead of jail. or even guantanamo . i do simpithize for his beliefs but not his actions.

fact is he knew whathe was getting into when he joined the army. i hate when people complain about being shipped out in the navy. the knew it was gonna happen. Alot of people join the reserves for the extra money, then complain when they get called up to active duty. What the hell do they think their job is? My dad was in the navy for 20yrs and was deployed many many times and never complained. he knew it was his job. and for the most part, he liked it. Now dont get me wrong, i know war sux and this guy is just now realizing that, but did he go over there before thinking it was like a video game or something? i know i could never imagine just how bad it is unless im actually in it, but i also know that its not for me. that is why i didnt join the military. I think he deserves the jail time. nobody enjoys war... but they still do their duty... its what they signed up for. just my two cents :)

i agree with you 100% just checking if i was off in the head im glad im not. or maybe us two are both nuts what does everyonelse have to say

liberal or conservative does it matter in this situations i would like both sides

He deserves the punishment. His comrades are over there every day risking their lives over a ridiculous war started by an idiotic president and this guy is cowardly enough to refuse an order to return to Iraq. He may be against war but his actions are nothing but selfish as his comrades are in battle and he deserts them. Just because you don't want to go to war is no reason to desert your team (which he did by purposefully missing his unit's deployment). I'm surprised he got it so easy.

He deserves the punishment.  His comrades are over there every day risking their lives over a ridiculous war started by an idiotic president and this guy is cowardly enough to refuse an order to return to Iraq.  He may be against war but his actions are nothing but selfish as his comrades are in battle and he deserts them.  Just because you don't want to go to war is no reason to desert your team (which he did by purposefully missing his unit's deployment).  I'm surprised he got it so easy.

519368[/snapback]

I forsee a flame war...

But ontopic:

I feel that he does deserve the jail time. As CNU said, he signed up for it, so he should face the duty he's required to. He dosn't do it? Too bad, you're going to face the consequences. How about every soldier who dosn't like war just leaves Iraq right now?

Benderman was acquitted of desertion but convicted of the lesser charge of missing movement, meaning he skipped his Jan. 8 deployment flight. He could have received five years in prison if convicted of desertion.
sounds like he got off easy/they showed him a lot of mercy.

Like people said, when you sign on the dotted line, what you feel like doing and what you think is right/wrong becomes irrelavant (within certain bounds).

Oath of enlistment:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Was he in the reserves, I didn't notice? Anyway, I think he shouldn't have gotten off so easy. Most of the older fellows join the reserves after active duty just to keep drawing that little check. I can understand that, but don't become a desserter when it comes down to the nitty gritty and the going gets tough. War is never pretty!

i think he was a sgt. so im not sure if he was full or part time. but hes already 40 so that makes it seem like reservist. because if he joined when at oldest age 26 that means hes been in almost 14 years no way can active duty still be sgt.

Oath of enlistment:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

519444[/snapback]

He signed the dotted line, it's as simple as that. No ands, ifs, or buts about it. He swore to defend the constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to it. He swore to obey the orders of the President, as well as those of officers appointed over him. Nowhere in that creed nor in the Code does it say he can go AWOL because of idealogical differences between the President and himself.

Some may bring up the argument, "Well the code states that a soldier has the right to disobey any order he considers immoral, upon hearing by Court Martial blah blah blah." There is a difference between an immoral order and a DiFfErEnCe oF oPiNiOn. An immoral order is considered to be something that is seen universally unacceptable, i.e. shooting an unarmed civilian for no reason, or burning down a village for no reason. Bush declaring war on Terrorism is NOT considered "immoral", or, "universally unacceptable." In fact, a majority of the nation supports his decision, as was made clear in November 2004. Just because you do not agree with WHY we are fighting does not give you the right to abandon your post. This man deserves to be executed by firing squad. It's just the modern way of protesting our president and getting out of war. Back in the 60's during Vietnam, most people who didn't want to be drafted went to Canada (Clinton, cough cough) or Mexico. The difference we see now in the War on Terror is that there is no draft. All of these cowards are VOLUNTEERS! They volunteered to lay their life down for their president and their country, and if they didn't realize that when they signed the dotted line, they didn;t deserve to wear the uniform to being with.

Good riddance, A-wipe.

Why send him to jail for 15 months....send him back to Iraq for those 15 months. I understand it is his second tour but thats what happens when you join the army. And he says he wants everyone home safe and sound...well without those brave guys and gals over there fighting for freedom we would not be safe and sound over here in North America...

Why send him to jail for 15 months....send him back to Iraq for those 15 months.  I understand it is his second tour but thats what happens when you join the army.  And he says he wants everyone home safe and sound...well without those brave guys and gals over there fighting for freedom we would not be safe and sound over here in North America...

519505[/snapback]

Amen