Amd Processors

WEll good news is I have a 30gb hard drive already to get me started and I have my dell cd-rw and dvd, (nec and lite-on) and have a keyboard/mouse/beefy 5.1 surround speakers/Aopen 5.1 sound card.

SO basicly all I need is a decent mobo754, guys i'm sry, but i it sounds like a 939 is over kill for me. BUt a mobo $100, PSU $75-125, Case (something rly simple not into lights and crap $50-75, ram, i have 2x 256 but i want a gig or a 512 stick30-Refurb 1gig rosewill. and I might need a floopy $5-Retail 754 Newcastle 3000+ @ newegg $15515 and the best part i think is .... a 6600GT for less than $150. I think thats adds to $600.......ahh crap the processor $150.....*drum roll plz*..... dang that like $825, maybe i'll find a dcent processor cheap that 150, maybe like $85, i doubt it but who knows.

Thanks a bunk cchalogamer, you helped a lot breakingin it down in noobie language

Edit: I wanted PCI-express for sure, but no sign of a DFI mobo, what other mobos are 754 and have pci-express?

517609[/snapback]

OK, myth clearup time...

939 is NOT that much more expensive. Infact, a retail 3000+ Venice is $9 cheaper than a retail 3000+ Newcastle. I'm not saying you have to go 939, but just make sure you're working with facts and not assumptions before you decide.

Retail 754 Newcastle 3000+ @newegg $155

MSI 754 MSI K8N NEO3-F @newegg $72

Retail 939 Venice 3000+ @newegg $146

MSI K8N Neo4 F 939 @newegg $86

What's the diffence in these two combos, you ask? FIVE DOLLARS! Nuff said....

So I suggest you get the 939 combo above, along with this stuff:

PDP 1GB (2x512) DDR400 DC Kit @newegg $90

Fortron Source 500w ATX v2.0 @newegg $91

Figure in $75 for whatever case you want (and if you don't want fancy, that's prolly a smidge high). Also, figure $150 for your video, like a 6600gt or something, with PCI-E. The PSU is variable, get whatever one you want. I like the Fortron, but just showing one in the $90 ballpark for pricing layout. The nice thing about the Fortron is it's pre-sleeved for looks and airflow, plus it's ATX 2.0 compliant, which is major futureproofedness :) The ram is also somewhat variable, but I love PDP, and that's good ram. Some might say to get TCCD 2-2-2-5 and all that crap, but in your budget that's not real. Plus, and this is huge for me, I have personally benchmarked my system at 2-2-2-5 vs 2.5-3-3-8, and the difference it's so small is rediculous. There's no reason to spend $40 on 400pts in Aquamark3. Not on your budget.

Anyways, that comes to $638 total. That's case, PSU, all new gig kit of memory, video, cpu, and mobo. You could try to mismatch your ram if you want, but I wouldn't. Sticking a 512 in with 2 256s is gonna screw up your dual channel setup, and isn't worth it if you ask me. If you want to hit 600 on the button, drop the PSU down to one of those Antecs or something for around $50. Those are still very respectable, and for what you have and what you're doing, you'll be fine.

So anyways you can clearly see that there's no difference in price between 754 and 939, with just a bit of research. I think a setup like this would treat you great, and would leave you lots of room for growth, both in processors and video cards.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if i was goign PCI-e i would go 939...but all PCI-e cards with the exception of the 7800GTX come in AGP flavor and it cost the same as your entire upgrade...so i dont se sticking with AGP as a problem...Just stick with AGP for now and in alot of benchmarks with lower end PCI-e cards, the AGP versions actually performed BETTER (ok so its not MUCH better but a little boost never hurt anyone...) (now im off to look for that nice yet overpriced PCI-e skt 754 board i saw awhile back....

Oh and the 3000+ sempron is under $100....i still say get it, bc you will NOT notice that much difference if you willing to OC...and $50 on a tight budget is alot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813130493

Is prob what i would choose for PCI-e and 754...sadly only 2 ram slots...idk not as feature rich as the AGP 754 boards...but i guess if you MUST have PCI-e (which seems VERY pointless for you) then that's prob what i would get...

EDIT: Oh and Mr. Smarty pants above...note that the difference in MY setup and that would be more of a $55 difference...$55 could be the change in a good PSU and a not so good one...or crappier ram...or god only knows what else... (oh and did i mention that the 3000+ sempron can run with my 939 3000+ without any issues...it OCs better than a winnie, and well i dont have a venice to compare it to...)

Oh and i do like the ram you posted better btw :D

Edited by cchalogamer

if i was goign PCI-e i would go 939...but all PCI-e cards with the exception of the 7800GTX come in AGP flavor and it cost the same as your entire upgrade...so i dont se sticking with AGP as a problem...Just stick with AGP for now and in alot of benchmarks with lower end PCI-e cards, the AGP versions actually performed BETTER (ok so its not MUCH better but a little boost never hurt anyone...) (now im off to look for that nice yet overpriced PCI-e skt 754 board i saw awhile back....

Oh and the 3000+ sempron is under $100....i still say get it, bc you will NOT notice that much difference if you  willing to OC...and $50 on a tight budget is alot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813130493

Is prob what i would choose for PCI-e and 754...sadly only 2 ram slots...idk not as feature rich as the AGP 754 boards...but i guess if you MUST have PCI-e (which seems VERY pointless for you) then that's prob what i would get...

EDIT: Oh and Mr. Smarty pants above...note that the difference in MY setup and that would be more of a $55 difference...$55 could be the change in a good PSU and a not so good one...or crappier ram...or god only knows what else... (oh and did i mention that the 3000+ sempron can run with my 939 3000+ without any issues...it OCs better than a winnie, and well i dont have a venice to compare it to...)

Oh and i do like the ram you posted better btw :D

517631[/snapback]

Is socket a the same as socket 754?

cchalogamer is right, a sempron chip will save you $50 or so over a newcastle chip, and is a valid argument. Sempron might be a good choice for you if you'd rather move the setup I layed out around a bit. The semprons perform well in comparison to newcastles AND venices, and they OC well. Semprons perform better in an OC setting than Winchesters because the Winchesters have that crappy memory controller, but I bet a Venice is a different story :) My hangup is that he's not OCing. Plus, like I showed above, he CAN get into a setup with both PCI-E AND 939 in his budget, and I think that's a great system.

If you'd rather just spend $550, or if you'd rather spend that $50 somewhere else, a sempron is a very good option, but I don't think it's necessary. Why not be totally up to date if the performance is comparable, if not better, and it's within your budget?

Is socket a the same as socket 754?

517637[/snapback]

No, no it is not. Socket A is also known as socket 462. The Athlon XP, Duron, and Sempron lines use Socket A. It is the socket that AMD has condemned and will no longer be supported in the near future, not even as a budget socket. That is where socket 754 comes in. Only A64s and Semprons use this socket. AMD has designated 754 as the budget socket, though it still has plenty of kick left in it. 939 is the performance socket.

I persoanlly just see more places to spend the money (maybe a new HDD...that 30GB from dell is prob a 5400rpm...that wont help out perfromance and will slow EITHER upgrade option) than on VERY little extra performance from that CPU upgrade to a full A64. idk when i upgraded from my P4 there was only one 754 sempron..the 3100+, it wasnt priced very well when compard to an A64 and though it OCed pretty good it wasnt that big of a price difference...

Had the same parts been out then that are now i would prob have a 2600+ sempron system instead...(find out how it OCs :D (prety good from what ive seen)) keep in mind i was building the tightest budget PC that was good that i could and ive only put around $750-800 in mine, but the parts were bought with rebates and other things to help me keep pricing down

cchalogamer is right, a sempron chip will save you $50 or so over a newcastle chip, and is a valid argument.  Sempron might be a good choice for you if you'd rather move the setup I layed out around a bit.  The semprons perform well in comparison to newcastles AND venices, and they OC well.  Semprons perform better in an OC setting than Winchesters because the Winchesters have that crappy memory controller, but I bet a Venice is a different story :)  My hangup is that he's not OCing.  Plus, like I showed above, he CAN get into a setup with both PCI-E AND 939 in his budget, and I think that's a great system.

If you'd rather just spend $550, or if you'd rather spend that $50 somewhere else, a sempron is a very good option, but I don't think it's necessary.  Why not be totally up to date if the performance is comparable, if not better, and it's within your budget?

517641[/snapback]

I would like for you to make out a layout w/ everything(754 or 939, what ever you use or like the most) except that stuff i already have. If you can't thats cool too, but It would really help me.

And who knows I might be OCing if i know for sure The worst that happens is that my computer shuts down and reboots normally.

I wish I could pay you guys moeny for this information. this board has been the most helpful about systems and stuff.

ha we love doing it or we would tell you to F'off (much like ppl at ExtremeOverclocking started doing)

humm it'll take me a few mins to do a complete redo of two full systems...939 AND 754 :D

And who knows I might be OCing if i know for sure The worst that happens is that my computer shuts down and reboots normally.

517654[/snapback]

That's actually not the worst that could happen. It's what we all hope will happen if our OC goes awry. The WORST that could happen is your system melting itself down to molten slag. One major reason this happens is due to a bad PSU blowing out when OCing. This is why you should get a good quality PSU instead of a cheap one.

You can really do much with $600. I do not think he will be able to get a A64 and PCI-Express depending on what else he needs. My Athlon Xp and Geforce Fx5600 runs BF2 fine, not at high quality but a mix on low and medium and it is playable.

If you want a killer rig i suggest saving more money. You dont need to spend $125 on a Power Supply for a budget computer.

You can get a DFI 939 w/ Express for $89.00

A 939 Venice $146.00

and a 6600GT $144.00

thats $379 w/o tax or shipping.

+$150 for decent 1 gig of ram

+%50-$100 for PSU

thats around $600.

dont need a case, leave it in teh box lol.

Edited by evanin

talk to puck or lilkev715 (they dont call him the PSU guru for nothin')

517592[/snapback]

ME? (I'm flattered :) ) I just know alot of whats NOT supposed to happen becuase of my experience with many bad PSUs :lol: ...my model recommendations and stuff have been made from what I learned reading some of likev715's posts :D . He'll let you know whats the real deal with certain psu's ;)

That's actually not the worst that could happen. It's what we all hope will happen if our OC goes awry. The WORST that could happen is your system melting itself down to molten slag.

Kashk dont scare him! :lol: Thats only when something goes horribly wrong. If you take little steps, a restart or refusal to post IS the worst that can happen :)

You can really do much with $600. I do not think he will be able to get a A64 and PCI-Express depending on what else he needs. My Athlon Xp and Geforce Fx5600 runs BF2 fine, not at high quality but a mix on low and medium and it is playable.

If you want a killer rig i suggest saving more money. You dont need to spend $125 on a  Power Supply for a budget computer.

You can get a DFI 939 w/ Express for $89.00

A 939 Venice $146.00

and a 6600GT $144.00

thats $379 w/o tax or shipping.

+$150 for decent 1 gig of ram

+%50-$100 for PSU

thats around $600.

dont need a case, leave it in teh box lol.

517662[/snapback]

Thats exactly it, don't don't need a killer rig, I don't want to save money bcuz i'm sick of this piece or !@#$ dell, my mom gave me. I'm on PCI(not express) i can play CS and Startcraft.....thats about it. I tried Warcraft III and AA:SF, i couldn't play those i doubt i can play BF2 or HL2 w/ a MX 4000. Which is why i'm asking for some much help. Plus I want to make sure everything works for sure. This is my first setup so I'm fallowing like 10 different guides so i don't mess it up.