Sign in to follow this  
Mr Ham Cake

This Any Good?

6600?

If this isn't find me a 6600 for under $150, i don't care at if it refurb or not. New egg has a crapload of them and other decent(i think) PCI-express cards.

And plz don't tell me he to save and get a 6800 GT w/ w/e ram. I'm saving up for this along w/ a barebone. I already have 512 ram, i need a gig, already have harddrive, monitor and keyboard/mouse and cables.

I was also was wondering if I could just buy a semi-cheap system and customize it to what are need and "take" out what i already have.

Almost like http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...22269&CatId=335 get a decent vid card and more ram and presto!. Could I play HL-2 and BF 2 on that?

PS. I don't rly want to build the whole system, looks like too much work, and I wan't this at least under $600

Well riddle me this, whats better, agp 8x or pci-express 16x? pci i think yes?

so in "theory" shouldn't the 6600 be better than the agp 6600gt?

another thing is , how much better is pci-express than agp 8x?

just depends, SLI will be faster only if u have 2 of the EXACT SAME cards running. and u need a SLI mobo. but if its single, in my opinon, i think its around the same.

yeah, using one vid card, PCI express will have almost the same performance as AGP. PCI express cards do not take advantage of the extra bandwidth provided by PCI express. So, it all depends on the mobo you have, or you're about to get.

Also, the 6600GT is better than the regular 6600.

umm there is a big diffrence between 6600 and Gt, one 66 is just DDR and clocked Gpu lower and the Gt is DDR3 runs coolers , OCs more and has a higher clock and is in PCI-Exress and AGP for the same Price on newegg.

Almost like http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...22269&CatId=335 get a decent vid card and more ram and presto!. Could I play HL-2 and BF 2 on that?

PS. I don't rly want to build the whole system, looks like too much work, and I wan't this at least under $600

517368[/snapback]

That system is already obsolete and slow - if you do you'll need a better proc and good graphics card, but will not be able to upgrade again. First, the sckt A semprons suck badly, and that mobo will leave you with agp. You'll need the fastest sck a proc to not be as gpu limited - basically the 3200(which you will pay a lot for becuase they stopped making sckt A chips), more ram, and a fast AGP graphics card, which is a waste since you are getting a whole new system. Go with a pci-e board now since you are already upgrading everything. Socket 754 pci-e will be leaps and bounds better then that socket A agp. By the time all is said and done you would spend just about as much as making a whole new pci-e system, that will still be faster.