Network Question(security/checking)

Just got my new Dell(i know dont shoot me, it was 35% so it was a cheap for an XPS2).

I have both the notebook, and desktop networked(shared files) shared internet, everythign works perfect(except the printer i cant seem to share!). I have WEP going. So feel semi-secure.

But i read about someone still getting through WEP and was caught because the guy was monitoring connections to his network. How do you monitor wireless conections? Like see who all has IP's assigned from your router? I assume the other person could use this same software on myself if he was on my network?

Just curious so i can make sure no one is leeching. Thanks guys, and any links where i can read up on more about it, would be great too!

I have a friend who routinely enjoys his neighbor's broadband on his laptop.  I guess the guy with the wireless never checks.

515204[/snapback]

I have no need for it, but I too can access my neighbor's wireless whenever I want. In fact, out of morbid curiosity I checked, and his linksys router still uses the default password. He is SO asking for it.

If you want to avoid being "that guy", check out the web interface for your router. It should show you all of the connected computers at any given time. MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE THE PASSWORD TO YOUR ROUTER. Don't use the default. Everyone who's anyone has the default for all the companies memorized, and that's the first thing they'll try if they want to mess with you. Just changing that password will severely reduce the damage someone can do to you if they get on your wireless network.

You could reduce the range of your DHCP pool to cover only the number of computers you have and then assign IPs to specific MAC addresses.

And WEP is easily cracked. The FBI did a demonstration at a conference and cracked it in like three minutes with tools and information you can find just about anywhere. But it is better than nothing.