Underclocking

I have an Alienware laptop specs in sig. Now it runs fairly cool but i heard you can bring the temperture down by undervolting, that you dont lose power or speed since chips are set for mid tolerance but if you bring the voltage down to the point where you dont loose but, cut down power consumption. It could reduce chip temp a few C - good in a laptop (desktop replacement )

Thought about this would be good.

I have an Alienware laptop    specs in sig.    Now it runs fairly cool but i heard you can bring the temperture down by undervolting, that you dont lose power or speed since chips are set for mid tolerance but if you bring the voltage down to the point where you dont loose but, cut down power consumption.  It could reduce chip temp a few C - good in a laptop (desktop replacement )

Thought about this would be good.

514931[/snapback]

If your chip can still hold stock speeds with less volts go for it - but I wouldnt actually underclock it.

:withstupid:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to sacrifice some performance for less voltage.

If it is still solid at stock speeds with a bit less voltage, then sure, go for it.

Taking a jump to the side a bit. There are people around that do deliberately undervolt and underclock their cpu's, but this is only people who are going for silent systems (and desktops at that).

I just want to bring the voltage down, so it dont generate as much heat without lossing any performance.

Can i t be done?

514955[/snapback]

Probably. I don't know how adjustable your settings are in your bios, but I would hope that alienware would give you those kinds of options. The thing is, if you can successfully lower the voltage a bit, you should do some serious stability testing afterwards. The first step though is just booting into the bios and finding out. Get in there and see if it'll let you change the vcore, that's the only way you'll know for sure. Theoretically it could work, but I'm just not sure the difference in temps will be that noticeable, unless you keep your laptop at full load all the time. The change in idle temps with such a minimal voltage drop probably won't be very big.