I Want To Learn To Program

Guest Flashstar

Constant declerations of program modules, along with the fact that it's syntax and structure is very different from other major programming languages. Trust me, Visual Basic 6 Programmer on your resume WILL NOT get you a job at your favorite game company.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actully since all of the AP computer science classes are JAVA now I would reccomend JAVA first which is kida what I did in my AP class. I bull sh!773d my way through that and im learning C++ now cause JAVA IS GAY.......

but if you learn JAVA other languages are very easy to pick up that is why colleges are teaching it first.

c++, once you learn quite a bit of that you can learn some of the various extra libraries of it to make graphics..like using opengl an stuff..

i love it..

514771[/snapback]

Do you know any good tutorials on stuff like that? I've been looking around for good basic tutorials on basic windows based graphics.

I started with C++ and i like it, but do NOT buy the book C++ For Dummies. I got it (big mistake), but i learned more from online tutorials. :D

Visual Basic 6 teaches bad programming habits.

514801[/snapback]

This is very true, however.... VB also helps you learn a lot of very important theories without having to get real deep into all the programming syntax nightmares. It makes it really easy to "toy around" with concepts without having to know a whole lot.

Yea, I mean, polymorphism is a GREAT THING to learn the first day.

514817[/snapback]

Yes, you are. And your school must be run by idiots who believe in starting out easy. Too bad it dosn't work that way with programming languages.

514820[/snapback]

Man, you really need to chill out with all your exaggerations!

Implying that Polymorphism is a first day thing? Come on man, get real. You can get very far into C++ without doing stuff like that if you want.

And as far as schools starting out easy.... well DUR. That's the whole point. Start with an easy language to teach computer science THEORY. You know, CONCEPTS. Then, once a student has an understanding of the concepts that are used in a given language (like OOP concepts), then you move them to a harder and more disciplined language. Starting out easy doesn't make them idiots. It makes them good teachers.

Do you know any good tutorials on stuff like that? I've been looking around for good basic tutorials on basic windows based graphics.

I started with C++ and i like it, but do NOT buy the book C++ For Dummies. I got it (big mistake), but i learned more from online tutorials. :D

514815[/snapback]

well , i dont really know any online tutorials...i kinda learned c++ through a mix of a class i took last year in hhighschool, and in fact c++ for dummies,heh :blink:

as for graphics, i cant even figure out how to SET UP all the stuff...im mean sure i place the files in the right directories, include the right libraries but it either doesnt work or requires something that only work the same way in the older versions of devc++, im sure i can do it in mine but the interface is all different..

id research openGL, thats what im attempting to set up at the moment

i also heard of Allegro, dunno what it is but might be worth a shot