Explain This Please!

NCC10281982B

OK gang I need some help understanding some things and a little help calming down.

Here we go.

I installed lanspire on one of my comps to try it out. For all intents and purposes it looks and acts like a messed up knoppix. I thought i read that this thing was trying to emulate windows. Like being able to handle exes. IMHO its not going well. I will freely admit that I am a native windows user and probably always will be. Enough on that.

On to the substance of my rant.

The first thing I did was go to folding.stanford.edu. So immediately after download the OS tries to launch the program (huh?) and my browser redirects to a nice little message about how this OS does not like exes. This page was also a big advertisement for CNR. :withstupid:

Figuring out where you saved your download is a pita. The dialogs don't seem keen on telling you. All in all I had to dl the exe 3 times.

On the third try I specifically saved it to file:/root/My Programs/[email protected] After dealing with the "I'm sorry you don't have permission to execute that and this needs to be opened in the console routines, there was more. It took several tries to get the client.cfg file to save. WTF? AND the folding exe is in file:/root/My Programs/[email protected] So why are all the [email protected] files in file:/root? Another WTF. I'm thinking of making a linux video in the spirit of the mac video. I have told this this to F it self way too many time in the past hour.

The built in spell checker in the browser is nice is nice. :)

I will keep Lanspire in mind for folding boxes, but I have not learned to actually like it yet.

My first WU is p746_Villin-pfold-protein-confined

Linux will not run a windows executable (.exe's), ever. Not that I know of anyways.

As for emulating Windows, what they meant is the look and feel of the GUI, and that's about as far as it goes. Linspire set about making a Linux distribution easier for Windows users by making it seem similar to Windows, but underneath, it's still Linux.

There is a [email protected] client for Linux, however. That one will work on Linspire.

Your trying to use linspire (MAC-LINDOWS as me and my friends call it a micture of linuc windows and mac). It has its own type of crap, and other idiot proof features. but heres a few things to try.

Do you have read right access over that part of the drive?

It might not be possible to run folding on linspire I have never tried so im not sure though.

But as for the linux version of fah its not exactly a .exe file. Its only named that.

Just navigate to in in konsole and type ./FAH502-Linux.exe and it should run fine. If it dosnt its probably a problem with linspire or you dont have enough ram to save anything in folding. (I ran into that problem with my xbox it wouldnt save checkpoints)

sry bout the spellign and run together i have company and im trying to throw it out as quickly as i can.

EDIT: youll have to chmod +x FAH502-Linux.exe before you can run it most likely.

I got everything working with Linux the [email protected] client. What bothered me was that I needed 3 Tris and an hour to get it right. Based on previous forum discussion, I was expecting to just click and go. I was wrong. Now that I know what I'm doing this should be fairly easy to keep running. I hope. Hey its free right? :lol:

BTW: am I right that having exe set to deny by default is a security thing?

Saving to /root? You better not be using Linspire logged in as root. :angry: If not and Linspire is just got some weird Linux implentation, then Linspire is even more crappier than I had previously assumed.

As for an OS to be used just as a folding box, why not just use Gentoo and do a super minimum install? Or maybe just use DSL and boot to run level 2?

Hate to say it, but if I recall correctly, that's the default account in Linspire.  It doesn't even create a regular user during installation.

515173[/snapback]

Umm i havent installed 5-0 yet, but 4.3 or whatever had me setup root and a user...but you jsut ahve to keep in mind that under it all it's jsut Debian Linux, so if you run it as that and bypass CNR, your life will be much easier (or well atleast cheaper (asuming you want other programs) :lol:)