Distro For Old Computer

nan0click

Instead of just saying, "What distro should i get?", im asking, "Which distro should I get for my 300mhz compaq presario computer with half the hardrive taken by windows?" it has 8MB of video memory i think and 3GB's free space... i want to teach myself how to use it... i have a disc of mandrake 7, but i was wondering if anything else is recomended because of the crappy specs...

thanks,

nan0click

Linux works well with old hardware. I'd suggest getting a few LiveCDs and trying them out. SUSE has one, along with MEPIS and a few others. If they work well, then install them and have at it.

ok, here's an update - - -

I have a knoppix disc, a Suse disc, a Linspire disc, and a Mandrake 7.1. I have tried to install each of them on to the computer (Compaq 5030) and none of them will install! Mandrake and knoppix both just stop, and linspire and suse give stupid errors about having problems with the hard drive. I have the 7GB drive partitioned into a 3.5GB NTFS for winXP which is working and online through a network bridge of my comp, and a blank unformatted 3.5GB partiton that I want to use to install linux. I have no idea what's wrong. But to make it easier for other to figure it out and explain what i'm doing stupidly, here is some important info:

300mhz pentium2

128MB RAM

Quantum Fireball HDD

like i said be for crappy graphics

proprietary audio

The only upgradable thing for the computer is memory, disk drives and pci, had proprietary mobo and stuff so im screwed there. I MIGHT be getting a 20GB i can try but i dont know until my dad's 300GB drive comes in. and the hard drive is a 5.25 or something massive like that, i dont know why its so freakin' huge, but it is IDE i think (to scared to go in because i dont want to be attacked by dust bunnies).

Thanks,

Nan0