Opterons

bigred

okay, got 4 of them, and have a mobo that will support 8 of them. thus i want all 8 to match.

so the original 4 are up for sale.

2.2ghz, socket 940, 1mb of cache per core (2 total). Require socket 940 board with 90nm support. retail boxed chips, with fans and opteron case stickers. all but 6 weeks left on the warrenty.

best price I could find for an OEM chip was $2600

I'll sell per chip $2000, $3500 for 2, or all 4 for $6,000 (call it buy 3 get 1 free)

what mobo do you have that holds 8 cpu's?

513877[/snapback]

^ A server one :P If I had to guess I'd say a tyan - they seem to be up there in the high performance server market(used a dual [email protected] each before on a tyan - it was a beast for its time)

Great deal bigred, but I think that is out of the price range of most occ members. 600bucks off for a chip+fan with almost its whole warrenty left is awesome!

what mobo do you have that holds 8 cpu's?

513877[/snapback]

you can't so much buy a "motherboard" for a setup like this... it's more of a "kit" from Iwill.

link

and if no one has any interst on them... they're going on ebay. set of 4 of em and the reserve will be set @ $6,000 for all 4.

I like the OCC crew better than the ebay folks :)

Edited by bigred

These are dual core Opterons? Dude, that's like having 16 logical processors in one system!! That's insane!!! I have that kind of money, but absolutely no use for it besides bragging rights. Hmm, good an incentive as any.......

thats pretty cheap to me any ways but wow thats a shlt load of power needed to get it booting. you know how much food i can get with 6k? wow *thinks about a pimped out fx-57 rig with a quad cascade* :lol:

thats pretty cheap to me any ways but wow thats a shlt load of power needed to get it booting. you know how much food i can get with 6k? wow *thinks about a pimped out fx-57 rig with a quad cascade* :lol:

513935[/snapback]

the mobo "kit" comes with 1300w's worth of redundant hotswap power supplies... and yeah fully decked out with 8 cpus, 128gb of ram, 4 500gb SATA drives, and teh whole 9 yards... $38,000 and change.

but it's working on earning that money back (3 1/2 months and it'll pay for itself).

the mobo "kit" comes with 1300w's worth of redundant hotswap power supplies...  and yeah fully decked out with 8 cpus, 128gb of ram, 4 500gb SATA drives, and teh whole 9 yards...  $38,000 and change.

but it's working on earning that money back (3 1/2 months and it'll pay for itself).

514109[/snapback]

...how?

how does it make money? it's my domain server for my storage company. a vast majority of my dual and quad opterons / xeons are used for this. they store offsite data that other companies can't life without. and they're willing to PAY to protect it.

say for example your company is a law firm. you have all your client lists, data, and everything else on your server in the office. you're religious about backing it up. you change the tape every night.

now the office burns to the ground. where's your data? even for the sake of argument you took a tape a week home. you only have a 1 in 7 chance that you'll avoid loosing some data. are you willing to take that risk. or better yet the one I've seen before. you get your new server... and they type of tape you used is no longer supported. it'll take you 8-10 weeks to get the right drive in. in the mean time you can't touch your data.

so, you have someone else who can archive your data offsite (hence the term offsite storage). I have TB upon TB of space. and at a set time the users server is set to transmit via FTP all the data in a specific director to a specific location. now due to the way IP addresses work (I couldn't afford 59 external ones) I have it setup with a single point of entry. the domain server's job is to figure out that customer 'A' data goes to server 'A' and customer 'B' data goes to server 'B' and put send it along to the right server on the 'farm'. there are 2 backup servers that are always sitting waiting to hold an 'election' if the primary goes down (in this event the first server to respond picks up the IP and takes over).

It's all billed out by the GB, and prices differ depending on the options the client wants or needs. some clients like one of them who makes a specific part for engines (the only one in the world), insists on having 100gb availible, though they only use on 20gb.... just in case they have some huge amount of cad drawings they have to store. others pay for DVD backups of data, or to actually have thier own dedicated server (the automotive guys are fanatical about this for some reason... they don't like to share).

things have been very slow over the last few months... but it should pick back up again. back to the sweet spot where I could cover the cost of that server in a month. it always does in the winter (slip and fall season for the lawyers and cold season for the doctos... plenty of them on the list too).

of course factor in 2 T3's, the electrical bill for this, the building (yes I bought an old machine shop to house this), insurance, the servers, software, updates ect. add in a few hours of my time a month... and it's all good to go.