What Cooling Do I Need?

aLeXv305

This guy online told me to overclock anything you need liquid cooling or some other type of better cooling. I heard of people getting their AMD64 3000+ up to 2.2ghz+ on stock cooling with an AMD certified heatsink and 80mm or 90mm fan. Please somebody explain this to me.

Oh and another thing, I have a Newcastle core. These any good for OCing?

Thanks,

aLeXv305

Edited by aLeXv305

This guy online told me to overclock anything you need liquid cooling or some other type of better cooling. I heard of people getting their AMD64 3000+ up to 2.2ghz+ on stock cooling with an AMD certified heatsink and 80mm or 90mm fan. Please somebody explain this to me.

Oh and another thing, I have a Newcastle core. These any good for OCing?

Thanks,

aLeXv305

513593[/snapback]

To answer your question about cooling you don't have to have water cooling to overclock you can use a stock which won't get you very far in overclocking or buy a xp-120 or xp-90 which will make it so you can oc some.

Either that guy is an idiotic noob and has no clue what the hell he is talking about or you misunderstood him. You can OC even with stock cooling and depeding on your ambient temps and how lucky you were at picking your hardware you can actually get some pretty good OC's on stock cooling. I know I have in the past. Generally whatever you get on stock you can get a little better with high-end air cooling, then better with liquid cooling, then better with extreme liquid cooling(pelt), then better on phase change, then better on DICE/LN2. Also, sometimes if you get a bum chip whatever you get on stock cooling is all you will ever get no matter the cooling, but this is rarely the case. I hope this big long paragraph has helped in some way. :)

Tell that guy that if he wants to know the facts about overclocking and cooling and extreme computing in general to stop by and have a chat with us. :D

EDIT: NewCastle cores do ok for OCing. There are better OCing cores out there though.

Guest Raven65

You'll need a better HS and fan, The XP-90 and a vantec tornado will work great and keep your cpu pretty cool. Also add some intake fans if you have room and maybe another outtake fan. Blow hole mode work good also. You can oc that cpu it will oc fine but you do need better cooling.

Edited by Raven65

You'll need a better HS and fan, The XP-90 and a vantec tornado will work great and keep your cpu pretty cool. Also add some intake fans if you have room and maybe another outtake fan. Blow hole mode work good also. You can oc that cpu it will oc fine but you do need better cooling.

513757[/snapback]

Not Hatin but just sayin,

Dont forget to egt the xp-90c, their heavier but seem to cool better

and yes def tornado, So loud but so COOL :-) :lol: