Computer Randomly Powers Itself Off.

area51

It just happened a minute ago. It doesn't happen very often but it is very annoying. I'm running a DFI Lanparty UT 250gb board with an Athlon 64 2800+, two case fans, one hard drive and one cd burner. The case and power supply are both by antec and it's a 350 watt smart power. Do you think something is wrong with the power supply?

It's a very sudden power off that comes without warning and it's loud through my speakers like a thumb and turns off. I don't think cooling is an issue but here are my temps anyway,

System 34C

PWM IC 34C

CPU 44C

The temps never go much above these even under load, also this room is air conditioned down to a pretty cool temp. Is it possible that the power supply is not power ful enough for this system, and/or going bad?

The voltages that it's reading right now with the system somewhat idle except for this typing are

cpu 1.47-.48 v

chipset 1.56 v

atx +5.0 4.99v

dram 2.57-.59 v

atx +12 11.64v

agp +1.5 1.47v

atx +3.3 3.20-.21v

vbat +3 3.04v

the ones that have hyphens are because the voltages fluxuate. I'm using the smart guardian program to get these voltages (included with motherboard)

thanks..

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. First I would take all the hardware out, and shake out your case/mobo and make sure there is nothing possibly grounding you out. Then I would put each piece of hardware in seperately and see if that fixes the problem.

yeah, there's nothing grounding it out. I never have gotten the USB to work on this motherboard, the drivers install but the USB always shows up as an error in device manager for the USB controller

Its possible you have a ghetto defunked motherboard, If like you said you could never get the USB to work, Another possible cause could be the ram, but if it was the ram it would probably be more regular.

For stupiditys sake you might also check the power saving options to make sure its not set to power something down after a certain time.

I'm actually hoping it's the power supply and not the motherboard because I can just go buy a bigger one locally

I just checked and the spare ps I have a 300watt, don't know if I should test with that or not but I do know that that one is a good working ps

Edited by area51

I have this happen on ONE rig at the house. and it's the only one not on a UPS right now. you'll see the lights dimm, fans slow down a little and off it goes.

I would almost be willing to bet that's not to far off from your problem.