Overclocking Amd64 3500+

aLeXv305

I am going to overclock my computer soon. I know how to do it, but I was just curious. Is 5 case fans enough to keep it cool? I have an X-Cruiser case. It runs pretty cool.

Any suggestions on the best way to overclock it?

Look at my specs for motherboard info.

aLeXv305

AMD64 3500+ @ stock 2.2ghz

X-Cruiser Case

MSI K8N NEO4-F NF4 PCI-E

420w Power Supply

Hitatchi 160GB Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache

5x Case Fans

2GB PC3200 (DDR400) RAM

ATI Radeon X800 128MB PCI-E

**Will be overclocking RAM and CPU soon**

AMD64 3500+ @ stock 2.2ghz

X-Cruiser Case

MSI K8N NEO4-F NF4 PCI-E

420w Power Supply

Hitatchi 160GB Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache

5x Case Fans

2GB PC3200 (DDR400) RAM

ATI Radeon X800 128MB PCI-E

**Will be overclocking RAM and CPU soon**

512866[/snapback]

We still need to knowwhat heatsink you are using....

OK well I just looked at it. The CPU has a heatsink and a 90mm fan. Is that good enough? I dont want to spend anymore cash. I also have two 80mm case fans + three standard size (90mm) case fans.

Edited by aLeXv305

What their saying is the stock heatsink isnt all that great for ocing. Get your self a 3rd party humungo heatsink with the fan of your choice on top. Copper is the best material for absorbing heat btw, so get one that is all or close to all copper.

Ok well heres my last question so I can stop bothering you guys. I am not spend more money on my computer. I dont have anything left to spend.

What is the fastest I can get my 3500+ to go without an aftermarket cpu cooler? And I mean stable..

Thanks,

aLeXv305

That depends on many factors. So its next to impossible to give you an exact qoute on how far you can take it on stock cooling. Firstly is it a venice core? because those run cooler and you can take them farther. Another big factor is your mohterboard. Without a good motherboard your not going to get very far. So the only way to get a good idea on how far you can take it is by actualy overclocking it. Increase hte FSB by tiny increments until either your happy with it or it becomes unstable, in that case back it down and test it with a burn in program (eg prime 95).

The Neo4 is a pretty good mobo, I've got a Neo4 SLI. I don't use it because you can't run UTT/BH-5 on it. Anyway, A newcastle core should be good for around 2.3-2.5ghz on the stock cooler. Get yourself a good aftermarket cooler ASAP, dude. The stock one is a piece of crap.

Ok well heres my last question so I can stop bothering you guys. I am not spend more money on my computer. I dont have anything left to spend.

What is the fastest I can get my 3500+ to go without an aftermarket cpu cooler? And I mean stable..

Thanks,

aLeXv305

512901[/snapback]

It also depends on the airflow in your case how much cfm the fans blow what kind of thermal paste you use and how many are fans blowing in and out.