Sign in to follow this  
flashystylez

I Know This Is Older Hardware, But....

Ok all, Since I got my new A64 Rig, I decided to "donate" if you will, my older Athlon XP setup to my cousin.. We are working with:

AMD Unlocked Athlon XP 2500 (stock 1.8ghz)

Asus A87NX-E Deluxe Mobo

1 gig chip of Corsair XMS PC3200

BFG Geforce 6800 OC Edition AGP.

My cousin is off to college soon, and he is into games. I had these items laying around, so I just felt like being "family oriented". LOL.

Anyway, back to topic!

I can get it to 2.35 ghz with a higher multiplier (11.5) with horrible ram timings and 1.8V @200 FSB for 400 bus speed OR I can lower the mulitiplier to 10X and bump the FSB to 225, (maxed out either ram or mobo) and get to 2250 mhz @ 450 Bus.. *I can get it running fine in windows @ 1.725 volts..

Which would be a better overclock?? As far as speed for gaming and whatnot would be concerned...

Thanks In Advance!

:withstupid:

Whichever overclock benches higher, go with that one. Though keep in mind that you also want to give your cousin the most stable overclock. Don't want anything dying on him or him calling you up from school and complaining about smoke coming out of the back of the computer.

he is fine!

that computer is much better than mine (except mine overclocks A LOT BETTER (i got mine to 2.5!) and i can play every game out (even with my crappy video card)

he is fine!

that computer is much better than mine (except mine overclocks A LOT BETTER (i got mine to 2.5!) and i can play every game out (even with my crappy video card)

512969[/snapback]

thanks, I will try to bench it out and see, I was just wondering if the bus speed would do that much better than just having it at 400 bus :shrugs:

what were your settings in the bios to hit 2.5??

if you asked, which is better 10 x 250 or 12.5 x 200 (both 2.5 GHz) then the answer would be easy... 10 x 250

since you're asking different speeds that are probably fairly close in performance with the different multiplier you should bench it with sisoft sandra, super pi, 3dmark01se...

Guest Raven65
Why don't you just bench it and find out?

512966[/snapback]

Just bench it. but 10x 250 would probably be better.

Just bench it. but 10x 250 would probably be better.

513220[/snapback]

too bad I cant get the fsb to 250.. I guess my XMS cant go that far.. I can get it rock stable @ 10X220 with 7-3-3-3 timings. With only 1.7 vcore. I can go as far as 225 and work pretty much OK, but it just freezes occasionally. Anything past 227 on FSB wont even turn on the computer, even @ 1.85V on both ram and cpu. I am forced to clear CMOS and try again. I think its the ram holding me back here....