Computer Freezing/rebooting Randomly

Enigma

About 2 weeks ago we had a guy at our house to fix a problem with the breaker supplying our kitchen with power. During his work he tripped something and it dumped the power to the entire house. I came home several hours later to find my computer was turned off, and worse yet, would not turn back on. I cleared the CMOS via jumper and it still wouldn't turn on. I left it all unplugged over night and it booted up in the morning no problem. After about 15 minutes of use it just randomly restarted. It restarted during both heavy load and under virtually no load and has since then. I've reformatted numerous times and it hasn't helped at all. After looking around online i was told to disable windows' automatic reboot on system halt option. Now i just get a blue screen instead of it just restarting. Ive had lots of different errors ranging from ntfs.sys to tcpip.sys to some ati .dl_ file.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else has experienced anything similar to this or can point me in the direction of what I should be doing now to try and fix it.

(p.s. it took 3 tries to type this...computer rebooted in middle of it twice!!)

Sounds like the psu and mobo have most likely been on the worst end of this. Check your psu rails with a DMM and see how it is holding up. If I were you I would remove and test each part on another machine to find out what is fried and what isn't and just go from there.

Yea it is a hardware issue for sure so don't worry about Windows. Maybe check the event logs to see if anything specific is listed. Those can actually help alot sometimes.

That's very unfortunate dude - but try these in order:

1) put everything on a different outlet (not on the same circuit!) and see if anything is different

2) swap the power supply and try it out.

3) in your BIOS - check to see if the sensors show anything wierd in your 3.3, 5, and 12 volt lines.

4) swap the board

it's most likely board or PSU, but if the problem still persists, RAM or proc is next.

you can also try running bootable hardware tests like "troubleshooter" and memtest86 to see if any components will report obvious error.

:withstupid: Definitely PSU, mobo, or RAM. First I'd check the stability of the PSU. Then check each piece of hardware on another computer to make sure theyre working fine. If that al chekcs out, its your mobo and from there i recommend www.newegg.com . Good luck!

PSU appears to be fine...readings as follow:

Vagp 1.472

VCore 1.456

Vdimm 2.576

+5v 5.080

+12v 11.916

-12v -12.116

-5v -5.099

Vbat 3.280

5VSB 4.993

I stress tested the ram using some memory bandwidth testing within Sandra Professional...think that is sufficient to rule out the ram?

Also, processor runs at 38C (100F) under minimal load, with the case temp around 40C (104F). The case temp seems high as I have 2 intake and 3 exhaust fans plus the side panel is off.

I have no way of really testing any hardware other than the harddrive as my only other PC is an LGA775 setup, PCI Express and DDR2. I could put the PSU in it to test stability tho.

Edited by Enigma

I think that it's NOT the ram at all. it's going to be as i said, PSU/MOBO.

did you try everything plugged into a different circuit in the house?

and yes it's perfect that you have the other PSU, that'd be the first thing to swap even though voltages look good.

ive been having the exact same problem for over a month now.... due to random reboots im starting to lose program files... during the windows booting, right before the windows screen comes up the computer will totally just restart, i bought new ram and took out the old one problem still there, i noticed the fan on my 440mx stopped working so i tried swapping for a passive cooled 440mxSE but didnt want to show a picture at all ...... it will do it when strain is put on processor sometimes but other times for no reason at all, also the temp is usually around 40C im starting to think its my mobo due to the fact that none of the usb ports work .... im never buying another biostar ever again

I played with the ram settings a bit to make sure they weren't being pushed too hard. I wasn't overclocking it at all, tried it at ddr266, 333 and 400, all with lax and normal timings. same thing happened throughout, ill hook up with the other psu tomorrow and post back. If it turns out to be something like processor or a couple of things wrong i might end up building a new machine all together...new platforms emerging and such.

RMA on the mobo is out of the question...it was a payment for doing an article on it about a year ago. my friend did the article and he didn't want the board so i scored a Epox 4pda2+ for $20 and a case of mtn dew :)

Ive actually ran into more problems now, when it powers on, my computer either 1) wont turn on my raptor, or 2) it just turns itself right back off. I put the other power supply in and it worked as far as getting the raptor going again, but it still has the problem with freezing and crashing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Well i give up on even trying to get it to work, i tested ram, processor, and video card in my friends computer and they all checked out fine. the company that fried it all to begin with is saying that they're not liable because its been too long (3 weeks or so) and i can't prove it was their fault. i know the psu is probably fried. If anyone wants to buy it as is right now lmk a reasonable offer via email [email protected]

2.4c p4

1 gig dual channel kingston ddr333 (runs ddr400 fine)

9800xt with Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 3

74 gig raptor

52x lite-on burner

500w mge psu (most likely done for)

thanks

Edited by Enigma