Quick Question!

I'm being offered a 350W PSU for $25. The reason I'm buying this is so i can replace the 250W that I have now. I was told i need this so i can run the X800XL i'm about to buy.

I'm running an AMD Athlon 3000+ (2.17GHz), 1GB RAM, CDROM, CD/DVD writer, and one HDD. will this 350W be enough to power all of these efficiently and stably?

i know nothing about the psu, plus i'm a noob so i have no clue what i'm looking at.

i would be buying it from CCHalogamer. i'm assuming he still posts here. he told me it would run all of these fine.

i haven't seen it, so i know no specs.

he just told me today that he would sell it to me for $25 (because that's what he had in it) and that it would run everything smoothly.

Edited by afikid

i know nothing about the psu, plus i'm a noob so i have no clue what i'm looking at.

i would be buying it from CCHalogamer. i'm assuming he still posts here. he told me it would run all of these fine.

512619[/snapback]

He's a great guy to do business with and yes he still posts here.

I'm not that much of a PSU guy so I cant give you advice on this, but I can give you a link to a wattage calculator that I use.

PSU CALCULATOR

Not to interfere with cchalogamer's deal, but if you dont think that 350w will be enough I have 400w for sale that I originally got from him. PM me if you want detail or check my for sale thread.

He's a great guy to do business with and yes he still posts here.

I'm not that much of a PSU guy so I cant give you advice on this, but I can give you a link to a wattage calculator that I use.

PSU CALCULATOR

Not to interfere with cchalogamer's deal, but if you dont think that 350w will be enough I have 400w for sale that I originally got from him.  PM me if you want detail or check my for sale thread.

512624[/snapback]

well according to that i would need around a 300W PSU.

Edited by afikid

The problem is typically the advertised watts on a psu isnt true. The majority of companies advertise the peak watt s at an internal temperature which is unrealistic such as 20 degrees (very common). So at idle that psu may be able to deliver 350w but as the load gets heavier heat will also rise deteriorating performance. So in the end, you may only be getting 250 watts of power (which is not too good in your case) and remember head room is good. Putting your PSU under that much stress isnt good, it may lead to failure and may take your entire computer out with it! :ph34r:

Edited by roadkill

The problem is typically the advertised watts on a psu isnt true.  The majority of companies advertise the peak watt s at an internal temperature which is unrealistic such as 20 degrees (very common).  So at idle  that psu may be able to deliver 350w but as the load gets heavier heat will also rise deteriorating performance.  So in the end, you may only be getting 250 watts of power (which is not too good in your case) and remember head room is good.  Putting your PSU under that much stress isnt good, it may lead to failure and may take your entire computer out with it!  :ph34r:

512627[/snapback]

yeah, cchalo came over today to check out my current psu today and said it wasn't delivering. and that was at idle.

i was going to get a dynex 500W but that fell through.

any recommendations for a good psu? i'm just trying to keep the price low.

Well you want to go with a reliable brand some cheap good PSU's are Tagans, FSP (just got to play with the Fortron Bluestorm, pretty good psu), Antec, Enermax.

Avoid: Thermaltake, Aspire, and powermax (tons more, but definatly avoid these)