Amd, But Which One.

Mail came today. Little did I know there was going to be a $1600 check in it for me. Thanks Granny. :D I have read a ton about AMD being the ultimate gaming proc, and now I want one. I have been debating whether or not to keep my 2.8c for about a month and now I don't have to. I am totally new to AMD, and still researching. I hear only good things about Sandys and some problems with Venice chips. I know that the FX chips are the best for gaming but way to expensive for me. I see everyone talking about the 64 not being used to its full potential yet. So yeah I am clueless on which to get. I am looking to spend around $300 or less on the Proc. I only game on this machine and recently purchased an ATI X850 XT PE AGP over the weekend, (before the check came which I had no idea about). So do I keep the agp card or get Pci-e on the new mobo? I have a 400watt psu, might want to get a 500 or more. I am sure that I will need an XP-90 heatsink, which I have now on my P4. I am still learning the OC thing so I would like this system to be moderatly overclockable in case I finally figure it out. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Edited by Kevlar218

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too sure and it's getting late, but I think the 3700+ is upper $300's and the 3200+ is upper $100's, if you can shell out the extra dough, get the 3700+...either way, make sure it is either a San Diego or Venice cored CPU.

1600$ and only 300$ to the proc? personaly i would invest a little more in a proc cause of you vidy card.

no i would not get a pci-e mobo cause that video card is still great

might i recomend a dfi nf3 ultra-d s939 mobo i got mine for 122$ on newegg and couldent be happyer!

as for psu OCZ 520w

ya you would eather want to keep your current xp-90 or get a xp-90c but other than that invest in some nice fans too

gl man!

with that 1600, you can get a 3200 venice core for only 190 i think at zipzoomfly, these things run @ 2.0ghz default but if you do it right can hit 2.8ghz, there are many factors that affect it, my shlt ram cant let me go past 2.5ghz lol. any ways you can get a nice dfi nforce 4 lanparty, zzm also got the x800 pro from 250-280 and maybe moe, still good price though. you might wanna check for some bh-5 (i think, dunno) and invest some money in good air or water cooling.

edit: just read you got a x850 agp, you can get what i got then lol. neo2 plat, tccd ram, good psu like antec, xp-120, see rig and there are other neo2 users here too.

Guest Raven65

Get the amd 64 3700+ sandy. it's 324 at the egg. they r the cheapest for the processor. God I ha\te new egg.

If you have a current x850xt-pe AGP then I would recommend getting a 3700+(SD), MSI Neo2, keep your current card, an OCZ powerstream 600w, and put the leftovers towards a nice W/Cing setup for it. :)

lol a 600w ocz? minus well and get the pc power and cooling 800w psu then :lol:

512080[/snapback]

Considering the fact that the PCP&C will set him back more than TWICE the price of every other good PSU out there (all of which will perform wonderfully for his setup btw), I don't exactly see him spending almost as much on a PSU as he will on his CPU.

I suggest an Antec, OCZ Powerstream/Modstream, or a Tagan. Search the forums under power supplies and you'll find a few lists of PSUs to avoid and a bunch of reviews for some good ones.